• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Shocks

What is the XJ's sprung weight in the rear corners?

the link I put on here shows fox shocks on a buggy that is 4500lb. they are rated for 1000 pounds per shock. How much does a cherokee weigh? 4L 4x4 4door.

keep in mind that Bill's buggy has D60s and some big ol tires, the sprung weight of that buggy is probably 3000 pounds

there have been numerous threads on vehicle weights, and it seems that most built XJs are 4000-4500 pounds. The shocks are rated 1000 pounds for sprung weight, so those XJs are probably 3200-3700 for sprung weight. if weight was distributed equally front to rear, you may be alright, but do you really want to be pushing the edge of their capabilities?

I think with proper weight management (or an MJ) you would be fine running them in the rear.

Ummm, dual shocks? Suddenly rated for 2000 lb sprung weight at each corner. Just an idea...

Jared

Ok, but there are still more advantages to consider. How about the driver's seat adjustability of airbag suspension? On-board air and a relief valve and you have instant ride height adjustment. Hook them up independently and voila! ... you can tip your vehicle front to back, or side to side.

Maybe stuff like this doesn't justify the cost, I dunno. Just some thoughts.

Jared

You can't use compressed air in these type of "air shocks". You have to use compressed nitrogen. Air has moisture and other materials that will corrode the internals of the shock. Nitrogen is an inert gas and holds no moisture.

DeadEyeJ said:
Ok, but there are still more advantages to consider. How about the driver's seat adjustability of airbag suspension? On-board air and a relief valve and you have instant ride height adjustment. Hook them up independently and voila! ... you can tip your vehicle front to back, or side to side.

Maybe stuff like this doesn't justify the cost, I dunno. Just some thoughts.

Jared

you can't run these off of on-board air. they need nitrogen in order to not corode the inside, and they need several hundred PSI. even if you had a nitrogen tank in your truck, everytime you emptied some you would loose oil, which is how you control the springrate with them.

coilovers are still better in just about everyway except cost and size/weight. by going with 2 airshox per corner, you eliminate both of those factors

lol - I was thinking of those "hi-jacker" air lift shocks you get at autozone for like $30 each! :looser:

Please disregard my previous stupidity.

Jared

Shocking air

I use to pull a 19' trailer and installed air shocks to compensate. that was back in '92. They started leaking last year and now don't hold the preasure. The air lines are rotting and the ride is much better! They have saved my bacon a couple of times when I was really loaded down. Now that I am considering a lift kit, the air-ride is over!

Well i decided since I'm redoingg my front end why not go to coil overs and then i found the fox air shocks. like every one has said the wieght is an issue but they also are avalible with a coil over set up so you could run a low rate spring to help the support the wieght and still adust withthe pressure and oil. ya its about 100 bucks more a shock but its a thought.

OK - the 1000 lbs per corner is just the max for nitrogen gas alone - the shock bodies are threaded and will accept a dual rate kit and the standard coil over springs for rates over 500lbs per inch....

I would think even on my XJ you have a 5000lb net - conservatively 2000 lbs is tires, rims, axles and other unsprung weight... - that leaves 3000 lbs to support the split is about 60/40 so that is 1800lbs up front and 1200lbs out back - that means my front corner weights are 900lbs and the rears are 600lbs...

All this on my tank of an XJ with an inner and outer cage, winch, skidplates, and rocker armor (alot of which is 1/4" wall thickness)

Technically I could run air shocks on the rear comfortably - the front is pushing it... But still within limits - the dual rate kit (80$) and two springs (110$) nearly doubles the cost but is still way cheaper than c/o's

We wont even talk about the cost of tuning them - you need a tank, regulator, w/ high pressure hose and a fill adapter - a kit is about 350$ - parts would total about 200-250 depending on how good your are at finding deals - a MX shop would do it but you need some trial and error to get the rates right and by the time you were done you would have probably paid for a fill kit...

HTH

Matt

Back