• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mpg?

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
this is getting me mad, i have 33" tires 4.56 gears and some extra weight on board. just recently change plugs, cap and rotor, and put 93 gas in plus some junky additive and i am getting about 10 mpg, still. wat up wit dat? just the past few months its been getting this kind of mileage. what else can i change to help this out? how 'bout an o2 censor? oh yea i also had a new 4.0 high output put in. i have less then 8,000 miles on it in over a year. anyone have some ideas this is starting to get costly?

Fergie said:
Can you say "shoebox with wheels"? Also, you are running 33s...dont expect good mpg.

Fergie
I am runnig 33's and 3.55 gears aw-4 tranny an I get 12.5 around town and 14.5 on the highway running 80mph. I would say change your o2 sensor.

??

waht year is yer XJ??

what kinda gap are you runnin yer plugs @??

have you done/had a compression check done on yer cylinders??

on average what are yer runs like on a tank of gas??
ie) red-light to redlight- short trips of less than 20 miles, <50 mph or mostly highway/interstate more than 50 miles per trip @ speeds >60 mph??

upandovr said:
I am runnig 33's and 3.55 gears aw-4 tranny an I get 12.5 around town and 14.5 on the highway running 80mph. I would say change your o2 sensor.
Not saying you dont really get that, but I find it hard to beleive. My XJ is tuned well, no major mechanical problems, and I am running 3.55s and 30s.

So unless you have a magical XJ, or mine is more funked up than I thought, you dont get that kind of mileage, especially with 33s, 3.55s and at 80 mph.

Fergie

i drove from California to Michigan last august in my truck which was then: '88 MJ, 4 liter with 200k miles, 5 speed, lifted about 8 inches, 33x12.50s, and probably about 1000 pounds more weight than usual. I got 18 miles per gallon pretty consistently, going about 75 miles per hour.

Fergie said:
Not saying you dont really get that, but I find it hard to beleive. My XJ is tuned well, no major mechanical problems, and I am running 3.55s and 30s.

So unless you have a magical XJ, or mine is more funked up than I thought, you dont get that kind of mileage, especially with 33s, 3.55s and at 80 mph.

Fergie[/QU

I verified the distance both on mapquest and gps and divided by the amount of fuel used and thats what it worked out to be, but I guess my math may be wrong. 290 miles/20gallons=14.5 and I also figured out that my speedo has a 16% error so it reads 244 miles instead of 290. The jeep is a 96 xj with 50k and a fresh tune up, I am running 285/75/16 mtr's.

I'd kinda like to know, if I went up to about 6.5-7" of lift and 35's with 4.56 gears how much would my mileage suffer? I'm prolly gonna be swapping in an 8.8 as well. It's still my DD as well. And I use it all the time for my job. I was considering 34's, but I want this to thing to be big and capable, But I could stick with 33's if my MPG would be noticably different with those

Don't complain. I have a 2wd, with intake, exhaust, all synthetics, new 02 sensor, stock tires size, and weight reduction. I get 10-13 mpg. And I always let it warm up. And gas around Chicago is ridiculous. And I'm a college student. Jeez, I need help. :cry:

I don't know. It really sucks, I have good plugs and wires too, I have a heavy foot, but not that bad. And mileage still sucks when i lay off it.

Back