• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the Virginia Laws for Lifted XJ?

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Virginia and was wondering what laws need to be considered for our Jeeps? Any height or width issues? How about adjacent states?

I think there is a height limit for the bumpers, tires can't stick out past the fender flares. If your in not going any higher than a 10" lift you should be fine, or a tire wider than 12.5.
Also, you would need working lights, and can't drive around with the doors off. (it didn't come that way, so it's a no no with the the State Police)

At 6.5" of lift, 33" tires...I have never been stopped in PA, MD, WVA or VA for anything more than speeding and to look at my snorkle. Juice

Check out XXX-XJ's web page at www.kofira.com, I know he got ticketed a while back for excessive lift height and has a section on his page dedicated to the subject. He is running 6+" and 33's (I think).

I think Skorpyo started researching the lift laws of the various states awhile ago, then gave it up when he discovered women. Since he's in VA I think that was the first state he looked up, so perhaps he has the real scoop.

Juice, there's a huge difference between being legal and not getting stopped. I see trucks on the road every day that aren't legal, but they don't usually get ticketed unless they are in an accident or get stopped for speeding and do something to cause the arresting officer to look for more charges to throw at them.

In general, I very much doubt that anything approaching a 10" lift is really legal in VA or any of the northeast states.

virginia has a law on bumper height.......kentucky may have some law regarding the issue, but i`ve never heard of anyone being ticketed...i ran an `82 toyota with 17 inches and 44 mudders all over eastern ky. a while back and never had a second look.........but like everone says keep it semi-mild and don`t act-a-fool and you should be o.k.

98classic said:

In Virginia the XJ is considered a PV (passanger vehicle) not a truck.The max bumper ht is 22 ".
I,m running a 3" Skyjacker system and31 tires, it measures 23" to the bottom of the frt bumper.
The inspection stations don,t care how high it is.But the Cops do.Don,t do anything to attract them and you should be OK.
Wayne
Shenandoah Co. Va.

bumpers can be no taller than 28 inches from the ground and the tires cannot stick out past the fenders more than 4 inches, otherwise you need marker lights to indicate the extremes of the vehicle. Other than that, go at it.

Scott

Wayne Sihler said:
In Virginia the XJ is considered a PV (passanger vehicle) not a truck.The max bumper ht is 22 ".
I,m running a 3" Skyjacker system and31 tires, it measures 23" to the bottom of the frt bumper.
The inspection stations don,t care how high it is.But the Cops do.Don,t do anything to attract them and you should be OK.
Wayne
Shenandoah Co. Va.

Wayne is correct, the XJ is NOT a truck in VA.

Out of State

I live in TN, but occasionally make my way to VA. Does it make any difference if you have out of state tags?

i was pulled for the second time 2 weeks ago (md). its a real pita. i had a friend sign off on the repair order and pick up a 93 zj for dd porposes. he even took out his disposable camera and took a dozen pics!
-g

FWIW,
Neither is an MJ a truck in VA, unless you tell them you want "truck" plates.
Believe it or not..... :confused:
Jeff

'87 MJ
Richmond, VA

DrPepper said:
does anyone know if trailer hitch is added into the height?

it goes by the lowest solid point of the bumper. so, if your hitch is welded to the bumper...then yes.

i had the same problem with lift regs. here in harrisonburg ,va. i ended up weighting the rear end down(that was my major problem with a new 6.5" lift) to try and comply with truck lift laws, and they threw it out when i got into court.

yes, it is 22 inches technically, but there are a few ways to get around it. obtaining a truck liscence plate is probably not easy. but do your research, understand why the laws were made, and develop an argument(or defense) from there.

Dont stone me or anything, but as a cop, I know the measurements are 21" in the front and 22" in the rear. The measurement goes from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, or the frame rail, which ever is the lowest. If your vehicle weighs over a certain weight, then you can get truck tags and get an extra inch in the rear.

I'm not saying that 10" of lift is legal, but it doesn't really matter what you do, if the cop is having a bad day your done he/she is going to give you a ticket.
I have driven many a time through out this country, with the south being the worst, having Maryland (Yankee Tags)...seems to be the only place that I get pulled over for doing nothing, but having a lift on my Cherokee. But the neck driving past in the 15" of Lift Chevy with 44" swampers is nothing to the cop. So it doesn't really matter what the law says, you can't stop a cop from having stick up his a**.
Just my .02cents.
Juice

Hehe ...

Way back when I was in the Army and stationed at Edgewood Arsenal, I was ticketed for speeding on US Route 40 (or is it 44) near Aberdeen. I was driving 5 MPH under the speed limit in a Rambler American, but I had heavy springs in the back so it looked "jacked up," and I was running without hubcaps. The cop decided it "looked like" I was speeding, and besides with my military haircut it was obvious I was a "sojur," and we weren't popular with local law enforcement in those days.

I live in VA as well and of all the taller XJs that my friends and i drive we have yet to be pulled for high law. I'm on 6in with 35s another who is a captin in a local couty sherifs office has about the same lift and 36s and another is on 8in and 37s. We haven't been haseld one bit for being to tall and even if we went by the jhigher limits in the code book were still atleast a 1/2 or more over the law. whats funny is that a stock AMC Eagle wagon sat to high bone stock for the car limits.I've been nail for other thing on my jeep and been warneed about a few like no rear bumper witch was funny when the officer asked what happend to it I replied "a rock ate it" but no ticket and when i asked why it was ilgale his reply was that it exposed the gas tank. Have ya ever knowtice that even with the stock bumper the ank is in plain view.

Back