• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help

89 XJer

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my situation, I have a 89 cherokee with a dana 30 front and a dana 35 rear (not sure if it is c-clip or non c-clip). I would like to install a R.E 3 1/2 " lift and run 31" tires in preperation for EJS at Moab this year. My bugdet is very limited at this time but I know i will need a few other things possibly i.e., trackbar, sye, t-case drop. Is it going to wise on my part to go with the lift with the 35c axle out back or not?I really do not wheel to much with the 95 grand I have (which also has a dana 35 but only 30" tires) but the 89 will get used more on the trails. I really would like to keep the dana 35 and add a limited slip locker. From the searching i have done, seems like some people have luck with the 35 and others dont.

By no means am I expert but from what I know with smaller tires the D35 breakage depends more on how heavy of a foot you got then anything else. I don't know if I would invest into a locker into the 35 though: look into 8.8 D44 and even 8.25 swaps (the latter, make sure to get a later model with the 29 spline shafts). Anyways, look trhough the forum for more info, as the topic of axle strength comes up occasionaly and there might be some ideas/answers for you there.

i'd say run the 35 for now... do the lift right and start saving for an axle upgrade in the future.... i'd at least overhaul it axle bearings and seals.. carry some spare shafts but i doudt you will need them... the skinny pedal and lockers make a big difference.. get some use out of the 35 and replace it when you are ready to go bigger and do gears and a locker...
mike

Thanks guys! I was also curious about swapping in an axle after I do the R.E lift, are the 8.25 or 44 direct bolt in's with those leaf packs or do they have to be modified? I also found some 30 spline shafts for the 35 but not sure if powertrax offers anything for that with thier no-slip, only the 27 I believe.

Back