• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the plasma cutter told me to do it

xj_punk

NAXJA Forum User
well i got bored today and i was going to put my gas tank back in and then i just thought #$@% it lets cut the back off. it kinda came out of nowhere because i am sick of TALKING about how i am going to cut the rearend off my xj so i just DID it!
i think it is bad! the wheelbase looks so much shorter and it just looks cool! i am not sure what i am going to build the frame out of because i am not sure what i am going to do for suspension. those are brand new skyjacker rr 8" leafs and i don't want to throw them out i haven't even used them. i would probably get screwed if i tried to sell them and they are new... they cost like 400 and some dollars. anybody want them?

the pics are here i can't post them on here for some reason

http://community.webshots.com/album/108676912BiDSXC

-nate

Use some box and extend the frame back out, make some hangers and run some YJ boomerang shackles. Build a flatbed with LEDs, mount a fuel cell and tools/spares in it then build a sick little cage off it. That's what I'd do anyways... Look for pics of Mark Hinkley's, OneTonXJ's and Beezil's for more ideas.:D

Economos said:
Use some box and extend the frame back out, make some hangers and run some YJ boomerang shackles. Build a flatbed with LEDs, mount a fuel cell and tools/spares in it then build a sick little cage off it. That's what I'd do anyways... Look for pics of Mark Hinkley's, OneTonXJ's and Beezil's for more ideas.:D

ideas? phhh who needs em? i am actually probably going to build new rails out of square tube and then just build the cage on it. i would like to run coils or coilovers in the rear but that is $$$$$$. since i got the leafs up front i am good with running coils in the rear i think.

-nate

Economos said:
I was just on JU in the Forsale Forum and there's a guy selling a set of unused Bilstein 6100 10" travel coilovers with or without coils. Granted they're not long travel, but rather cheap considering.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=476528

that is mad crazy tempting, is it a good deal? 10 inch travel isn't that great though, of course 14" travel is really only 4" more... damn this has me thinking.
what do the other coilover xj's have? 14"?

I think you should do this now:
rear_suspension2.JPG

that's Matt's

mad maXJ said:
I think you should do this now:
rear_suspension2.JPG

that's Matt's

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That is the COOLEST rear suspension setup I have EVER seen. So many objectives accomplished in such a tidy package. Matt, I bow down to your genius and your fab skills, you are a master.

xj_punk said:
that is mad crazy tempting, is it a good deal? 10 inch travel isn't that great though, of course 14" travel is really only 4" more... damn this has me thinking.
what do the other coilover xj's have? 14"?

They're Bilsteins, so you know they ain't junk and they're dual rate. I think most others are running 12" travels in the rear but I'd ask them before me.:D I know Fullsizexj and OneTonXJ both have rear coilovers - ask them.

do you mean do what he did to his xj or build a 1/4 ellip setup with hydraulic rams??? wow that is badass, i was looking at it trying to figure out what was so special then i saw that it was actually a whole leaf and not 1/4 ellip at all and then i saw the rams... how much adjustment does he have in those? that would be cool to adjust and tinker with. too fancy for me though.

about those coilovers for sale, do you guys think 375 is a good deal for 10" coilovers new? i am really interested in buying them cause that would simplify things for me.

-nate

I think you should shoot for 14" of shock travel or maybe even more.

I have a 1/4 eliptical set-up that uses EVERY INCH of that.

pretty neato to see a ballsy cut!

lots of work ahead for you man!

Beezil said:
I think you should shoot for 14" of shock travel or maybe even more.

I have a 1/4 eliptical set-up that uses EVERY INCH of that.

pretty neato to see a ballsy cut!

lots of work ahead for you man!

i am honored to receive a compliment from ya. you don't think 10" will cut it? they are like 17" closed and 27" open. i bet 10" is more than my leafs will offer, maybe. i am going to take a leaf out cause i am not going to have enough weight back there. i didn't have enough with the body. anyone want those springs? i could sell them and use the cash to buy coilovers.

p.s. hows the 1/4 ellip working for you? want coilovers yet?

xj_punk said:
i am honored to receive a compliment from ya. you don't think 10" will cut it? they are like 17" closed and 27" open. i bet 10" is more than my leafs will offer, maybe. i am going to take a leaf out cause i am not going to have enough weight back there. i didn't have enough with the body. anyone want those springs? i could sell them and use the cash to buy coilovers.

p.s. hows the 1/4 ellip working for you? want coilovers yet?

I love the 1/4 elip!

it works very well!

the 4-link worked out great too, I have plenty of anti-squat and a nice low roll axis. If (more like when) I do a full tube chassis it will have coil overs....with the exception of converting my 30 slipe 60 to 35spline shafts, I'm pretty much DONE with the xj...its time to wheel the thang until it is wasted.

what are your plans for suspension?

oh yeah 1/4ellip is cool it is just a bit of tuning compared to other ways and it seems like you could go through leaf packs fast.

i am not sure what to do with the suspension. i would like to do coils or coilovers but that is more money and time. leafs are so simple i could just weld on shackle hangers and be done with it. but then i would want more flex so i would do 3/4 ellip and then i would need a traction bar... and with all of that work i could basically do a 4link! i don't know what to do. what do you think?

-nate

xj_punk said:
what do you think?
-nate

I think if you have time to spare, you should fight impulsive urges to keep going.

sit on it a while.

its a tough choice.....with almost no shortcuts now that you've come this far.

the cool thing is, you have a great "canvass" to work from!

I'd start by collecting ideas and designs of tube buggies, which you will end up with ultimately.

check out blue torch fab for suspension ideas.

POR will be a good source for insipration

Beezil said:
I think if you have time to spare, you should fight impulsive urges to keep going.

sit on it a while.

its a tough choice.....with almost no shortcuts now that you've come this far.

the cool thing is, you have a great "canvass" to work from!

I'd start by collecting ideas and designs of tube buggies, which you will end up with ultimately.

check out blue torch fab for suspension ideas.

POR will be a good source for insipration
i couldn't agree more.
i am totally taking a week off to think, it was hard to explain to my uncle but he gets it now.
yeah there are no shortcuts but i don't care, i am in this for the long run always have been.
pbb is a good source but i just read i never talk cause they are all such pricks! so if i have anything to say i say it on RME or here.

what do you think i should do with the tools and knowledge i have? i am thinking i might cut the uniframe underneath the cab and put in square tube and run it back just a few inches past the cab and build a frame crossmember to connect tubes for the rear. all i would have to build for under the cab is a new t-case skid/tranny mount right? i would have to connect the new frame to the front uniframe very elaborately but i think it would work out the best to do it that way. i just don't want to complicate things too much with dom when i can use square and bolt it through the floor and weld it etc. just thoughts...

-nate

hey beez hook me up with some more pics of your rig, i want to check out your 4link. i saw it a while ago but i didn't really understand it then. anyway, do you have a website with them? if not just post it up on here or you can email me a crapload of them at [email protected]

thanks
-nate

Back