• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yes or no....

dork

NAXJA Forum User
i got new upper and lower balljoints..an dnew wheel bearings on the front....then an alignment......

but they fawked up my alignment....i put my stock tires back on for the winter and i can now SEE that the driver side tire is slightly pointing out....so i need another alignment...

so yes or no...is this enough to cause the balljoints or wheel bearings to go again?!?!?? that wheel assembly is a little wobbly again?!?!?!

thanks, Ryan :confused:

Kinda hard to diagnose your problem with "that whole assembly is a bit wobbly again". We kinda need to know where the movement is. Is it when turning right or left? While driving? Is it wobbly in a castor movement or camber movement.

Sounds more to me like you may have some bad axle housing parts - wallowed out ball joint mount surfaces or maybe the wheel bearing wasn't seated correctly the first time and now the 3 bolts are loose.

Of course all the above only applies if you absolutely certain you don't have any worn steering parts.

Give us more info.

right right...sorry,

what i meant was when i changed the tires it was wobbly up on the jack...if i grab the rotor and look for movement top to bottom...like the ball jouints were gone again....

could this also be the bearings/hub?

no worn steering parts either..just had that looked at as well....

i DO have a bad bushing on the lower control arm at the axle tube on the driver side (skyjacker 3" suspension lift/ poly bushings) (same side that is a little wobbly)...i guess that might wear out bearings to eh?

Last edited:
If you have the wheel off and are jerking around on the rotor... :dunno: the wheel positions the rotor snug against the wheel hub/bearing, so it ought to move it you yank on it with vigor.

With the wheels on, torqued down and fully jacked up by the axle or chassis (not jacks on the lower ball joint nuts) you ought to get very little to no play side-to-side (hands at 9 & 3) and a little more at (12 and 6) An observant buddy eyeballing things while you do it is good to isolate & ID what stuff is moving...

If the rotor (and thus the caliper) is off and you have play in the outer lug-half of the hub then your hub is FUBAR.

If the hub is good and there is substantial play is in the ball-joints, then they are gone.

Hope this helps...

You didn't say how long ago all this work was done.

In general, having the tires toed out will not wear out ball joints very fast. It would put some extra stress on the hub bearings, but the biggest thing is that it would cause the tires to wear on one edge. If the tires you had on were wearing even;y across the width of the tread, I'd say the alignment couldn't have been that badly fubared.

oh the tires are FUBAR!!! haha the work was done about 3 months ago....so they are all reletively new...and i didn't do it, i paid a shop to do the work...

thanks guys, i made the mistake of wiggling the rotor with no tire on...i wasn't even thinking that it needed the tire on. i'll try again with it on :cool:

You also can't tell an alignment problem by eyeballing it. Every XJ seems to be toe'd out if you look at it from the front, it's an optical illusion based on the body lines. Only way to know is to observe tire wear or measure the alignment.

Back