• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch components?

XJjosh

NAXJA Member #1025
i have a 96 jeep cherokee with a 2.5L and AX-5. is it an internal or external slave? and are the ax15 and ax5 clutch components the same? i am planning on a smallblock 350 with ax 15 and 231 tcase

AX-5

The AX-5 has an external slave. There is nothing in the clutch system that you can use on the AX15 if that is your question. Sounds like a good project though.:)

Couldn't he reuse the master and slave?

Or do they mount differently?

He could re-use the master, subject to confirming that it has the same piston diameter as the one for an AX-15.

[Edit]My comment regarding the slave doesn't apply to the external. Might work -- check part numbers for cross-application.

Masters

The master cylinder might swap but the rest of the system is completely different. When I said that the clutch systems are not compatible it was in reference to everything attached to the transmisssion. The master cylinder part number is the same in the NAPA catalogue for either the 4 or 6 cylinder. Hope that helps.;)

i think it has an internal slave though. i looked at it last night and it runs right into the bellhousing. would i have to swap everything from the master cylinder all the way out to clutch for this?

The internal slave is a combination slave cylinder and clutch release (throwout) bearing. It has to be size to the transmission input shaft. The AX-5 has a 1" shaft, the AX-15 has a 1-1/8" shaft. The slaves cannot be interchanged.

Yes if they are internal......

But if they were an external slave on his would it not do the same thing? Assuming it had the same throw? BTW I thought they went to the external's by then.

Back