• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ flares.. I know another one...

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
I know this has been covered several times, but I'm basically just looking for links to sites or folks who've done it. I need to do some trimming. There was a red XJ with 35s (I think) back east (I think) who's seemed to be real clean. Picts. & links would be truly appreciated.......
Thanks !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

p10.jpg
Running 35's w/ only 5.5" of lift.

How about 33s on 3.5" and TJ flares, would that fit alright for trail use?

If you showed up to recent runs (after May :D) you'd see mine :)

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=63978128303.38251080903&n=726128708

and here is something I replied a while back about how it was done:

ok, so I started with stock (untrimmed) fenders and while running 31's I'd rub a bit here and there when compressing.... so I trimmed a little here and a little there upfront. The end result was that while on a trail I compressed on the passenger side and turn and pulled the fender in GRRRRRR So I got home and I trimmed the hell out of that fender so that it wouldn't rub. The plan was to still reuse the stock flares just redo the bracket, but I overdid it a bit... so here come TJ flares to the rescue with help of Ed Stevens .

One fine Sunny day I stop by Ed's house where with his help the fenders get trimmed. The most important step is to plan things out first:
1. Take the stock flares off
2. Take the bumper ends off
3. Take the TJ flare (if that's what you're planning to use) and hold it against the fender. Better yet, put it up and have someone hold it for you while you step back to examine the look.

Then after marking it with a pencil or something (try to stay away from sharpies...) plan the trimming. The best thing for you to do is to trim a little bit less and then bend it up. THe bend isn't simple. Ed had a really good set of pliers (something for body work which had a wide flat set of jaws specifiaclly for metal bending) and bend up. You might have to make incisions in certain spots for the bend to make it, but try to do that as little as you can (you want the longest pieces possilbe so that they reinforce the fender).

After that you hold the flare against the fender and adjust (snip here, snip tehre, bend here and there). Oh... when I was doing that, I had to remove my drivers side washer bottle (it sits in the fender) so that I had room to work with it.... I will move it into the engine compartment... eventually LOL.

Anyways, after all was said and done I redid the inside fender lining so that I wouldn't get as much crap thrown towards the door, and I took a BFH to that lip inside the front fender and after couple passes I had it tucked against the body like it didn't even exist......

Now to finish things off, I masked off the fender in the shape of the flare (just a bit more) and I used the herculiner in spray can to finish things off. Then I took the tape off (don't wait tooo long for that... pretty much take the tape off as soon as you finish spraying) and I let things dry and put the flares on.... that's all folks Let me know if you have any questions

Kejtar
P.S. I trimmed the bumper endpieces so that they were in line with the flare

Just dont do what I did and get the extended flares, didnt realize it at first till after I got them installed and they were free. Ever see an XJ with .50 Cal machine guns mounted to the sides? Thats what they looked like. Needless to say I took them off the next day and chopped the heck out of the fenders. They look nice and wish I would have known before hand. Oh well, live and learn. Jeff CamoXJ

Gecko as for your question it is posible depending on how you install them and you will need to extend your front bump stop and maybe ad a .75 spacer. i ran with 4.25 front and 3 rear for awhile with 33 mtrs on 15 x8 with 3.5bs and i realy like it.

XJHOX said:
p10.jpg
Running 35's w/ only 5.5" of lift.

holy crap dude, that looks fan-friggin tastic! Thats what I want mine to look like!

got any more pics?

the only thing I would do differently is rear tj flares on the front, but after seeing yours...I would consider the fronts up there!

What color is that?

Actually that makes me thinik of one...

What about rear TJ flares on the REAR of a 4-door, there's not much room, anybody done this without cutting it and attaching part to the door?

Also post up your way of oding it patially attached to the door...

Sequoia

Thats what I want to do also Sequoia... there are pleanty who have cut into the rear fenderwell, but I'd like to NOT CUT..... trim & fold then mount the two piece rear flares. I'm also interested in fitment to the body lines & lower rocker panels.
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I've got a pair of rear TJ flares if you awnt to look at them, you just can't have 'em. :) I can bring them out next time I'm out that way if you haven't gotten hooked up yet. I plan to go TJ Rear all around personally... (Like Jes did)

xjhox how did ya prep yours for paint? i have tjs rear front and rear cut for body lines and such as well as cut to fit on door and want to paint mine red to match jeep. thanks

WIll

Here is a driveway shot. I used stainless "L" brackets and rivetts for the bottom of flares that would be left floating airborne otherwise. I'm going to eventually finish them with a rubber boot between the body and the flare using rubber garage door molding. I know that sounds weird, but this will make the flares look finished. No gaps behind the flat edge of flare and curved edge of XJ body.

fbfe5f77.jpg

fbfe5dc6.jpg

fbfe5d0a.jpg

looks good xjaddiction!

can you give me some details on your auxillary lights (the ones on the fender)

They're 6" ProComps. I had lights on the Warn Enforcer, and busted them all up, twice. Once I managed to hit a tree, the next was a hit from an out-of-control international on 38's.

so... I didn't want them on the roof, and previously owning an YJ, had them on the "A" pillars... but, didn't want to drill the "A's" on the XJ... so I drilled through the hood. I like them their because they are out of harms way, and along the way I heard that the best possition for lighting was close to your eye level in the vehicle.

I measured and tested placement. Then marked with indellible, then dimpled and drilled up to 1/2" for the lights.

you'll want to avoid the internal hood structural support.

You'll also want to place some steel stock on the underside of the hood for added suport. I tried it without and they wagged (very little, but enough to drive me nutts) some, so the steel flat stock keeps them still at highway speeds.

fbfe600e.jpg

Now THATS ! more like it...... XJaddiction did you cut into the rear inner fenderwells or just trim alittle & fold? How about a rear up close pict. ? If the flare is mounted even with the bottom of the rocker/quarter panel is there nothing gained or just not as much?
I still haven't seen the red XJ I was refering too.
Thanks for the help...
Sequoia.... when you gonna come out to the desert......& wheel alittle? I would be interested in getting afew mins. with a flare to put it against the XJ....
Thanks !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Thanks, I did cut into the fender well. I cut the pinch seem off which separates the outside sheetmetal from the fender well. I cut pie shaped wedges in the fender well and up to the top of the exterior sheetmetal fold that I wanted.

I figured the sheetmetal fold out by outlining the flare once I figured the perfect placement. I wanted the door sill in the rear pass to be folded over for a smooth lip.

I put all the pie wdges back together (exterior sheetmatal to fender well) drilling and rivetting. This tied the whole thing back together (no creasing or broken hatch after a year and a half of wheelin') nice and tight.

I used house window tape, about 3"s wide with tar back and shinny silver front to seal the holes. Then undercoated it all.

I bolted the flare on and cut it at the door openning. I'll get the other pics up soon. My 3 week old girl is awake now!!

(I say "I" above, but the "pie wedge cuts come from a good friend's idea. His Name is Doug T., another XJ guru!!))

Last edited:
xjaddiction said:
They're 6" ProComps. I had lights on the Warn Enforcer, and busted them all up, twice. Once I managed to hit a tree, the next was a hit from an out-of-control international on 38's.

so... I didn't want them on the roof, and previously owning an YJ, had them on the "A" pillars... but, didn't want to drill the "A's" on the XJ... so I drilled through the hood. I like them their because they are out of harms way, and along the way I heard that the best possition for lighting was close to your eye level in the vehicle.

I measured and tested placement. Then marked with indellible, then dimpled and drilled up to 1/2" for the lights.

you'll want to avoid the internal hood structural support.

You'll also want to place some steel stock on the underside of the hood for added suport. I tried it without and they wagged (very little, but enough to drive me nutts) some, so the steel flat stock keeps them still at highway speeds.

fbfe600e.jpg

cool man, thanks for the info, looks badass!

197580MVC-845S.JPG

707796mvc-260f.jpg

XJADDICTION....

What rear bumper and carrier you got??

Back