• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best LSD for a d44

h.curtis

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading on lockers and so on and have decided on a limited slip for my d44. I do most of my 4 wheeling in slippery terrain and my stock trac loc in my d35 has always worked well, so that is what I have decided. I may lock the front with ARB or something like that when I can afford it.

Anyway, what is the best out there for my d44 rear? I heard Auburn needs fluid changes every 7500 miles. I don't think I would be into that. Suggestions?

Curt

I liked my True Trac...

though I wanted something more aggressive...

I had it in the front of my MJ, and it'll be going in the front of one of my NV 242 XJs. If I had the $$$ I'd get an Electrac (selectable limited slip/locker) for the rear, but probably stick with the working Trak-Loc for now.

If your set on an LS, the Detroit TT is a great choice. I'd run one again in a heart beat and the LS out back with a selectable locker up front is a good combo for the daily driver crowd. On slickrock, the Tru-Trac thinks it's a locker.........

Thanks for the responses. I wish the Tru Trac wasn't so expensive. This is a daily and I'm thinking a locked front and a good slip rear would be good. Anyone knows who has the best price? This d44 project is going to be expensive. I need a new brake set up and going with ZJ disc's I think. I now have so much respect for all you guys sinking many thousands into your XJ's.

Curt

I got a detroit true trac D44 that will be for sale as soon as it gets back from detroit. It got broke by a buddy of mine and I am welded rear so I don't need it now.

BUCKYXJ said:
I got a detroit true trac D44 that will be for sale as soon as it gets back from detroit. It got broke by a buddy of mine and I am welded rear so I don't need it now.

Well, let me know. I don't know if I want a broke one however. :)

So many people say I should just get a locker. They are cheaper, but I don't want tire chirp while I am driving in the city which is where I live.

Curt

If you think a TrueTrac is too expensive, price an Auburn. Although I don't think the Auburn is available for the D44 anyway. So if you want a limited slip, you basically have a choice between the Trac-Lok you already have, or the True Trac.

I run Trac-Loks in all the XJs and I have a TrueTrac in one of the MJs. I have been satisfied with the Trac-Loks for my mild to moderate wheeling, and the TrueTrac is more aggressive than the Trac-Lok.

I was waiting for the Elec-Trac for a looooong time. Imagine my disappointment now that they are available to learn that they are breaking. Tractech doesn't have a good record with new products, it appears. I also liked the Gearless Locker as a concept -- it is now available only for ATVs because in real trucks they were blowing up.

Have you thought about the Dana Powr-Lok? It's a limited slip and is well thought of. It's an older design, but has proven to be better than even many of the newer lsd's. Here's one website that you may want to check. There are probably plenty of others out there as well.

http://www.reiderracing.com/danapowrlok.htm

h.curtis said:
I have been reading on lockers and so on and have decided on a limited slip for my d44. I do most of my 4 wheeling in slippery terrain and my stock trac loc in my d35 has always worked well, so that is what I have decided. I may lock the front with ARB or something like that when I can afford it.

Anyway, what is the best out there for my d44 rear? I heard Auburn needs fluid changes every 7500 miles. I don't think I would be into that. Suggestions?

Curt

7500 miles is really not that often to change diff. fluid (every second oil change) for a diff with a traction device in it.. i change mine about that much during a normal wheeling year. you can have the rear diff cleaned out and the rtv waiting to skim over while you do an oil change, then just slap the cover on and tighten up the bolts.

Hunter

Nightside21 said:
Have you thought about the Dana Powr-Lok? It's a limited slip and is well thought of. It's an older design, but has proven to be better than even many of the newer lsd's. Here's one website that you may want to check. There are probably plenty of others out there as well.

http://www.reiderracing.com/danapowrlok.htm

I looked at the site and didn't see a Power Lok for a 44?

Curt

Just checked that link to Reider Racing. The Powr-Lok isn't available for the Dana 44. The Auburn "Performance Series" isn't available either, but the Auburn "Pro Series" is available for the Dana 44. However, I'd bet the TrueTrac is cheaper.

Well, I just called drive train direct and was going to order a true trac. He asked me what I was using my Jeep for and so on. I told him and also wanted to know if I was on ice with one wheel and dry pavement on the other which LSD would be best. He stated that the Tru-trac would act like an open dif in that situration and the Trac-lock would be the best since it would supply power to both sides in that situration. So, I didn't order yet. I guess, I was taken back by what they guy said. On top of that he sells them all and the trac lock is the cheepest.

He stated that Auburn was more aggressive than both, but he didn't like the fact that I can't rebuild it. I stated for $85 you can send it to Auburn and get another one. He then stated, if this is your daily what are you going to drive while it is in the shop?

I hate to bring this thread back, but what the #$#%.
Curt

Detroit TT.

I run a detroit TT in the front and a trac-lok in the rear (Chry 8.25"). From all perspectives, the Detroit TT engages/works many times more than the trac-lok and most of my off road traction is in the front. If you don't want to spend the $$, Dana Trac-lok's your best choice.

Back