• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 60 not just broke, it broke-broke!

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
60break.JPG

pretty neato huh?

Didn't Sean do the same thing at the Cherokee Crawl at Tellico in July?? Looks almost identical...

Ary

thats the 3rd broken 60 i have seen in 2 weeks one on a m715 one on a f350 and this one those things must just be weak :D LOL

I think something about this 60 should be clarified here...

It's one of those "psuedo-60" 30 spline versions.

I'd heard of them but never knew they really existed :roflmao:

Jebus beez, that mustve been one hell of a curb! :p

Why bother with the extra weight of a D60 if you're going to keep those 30 spline axles? ;) :D

Many still don't know that the only way to get a 35 spline D60 is with a custom axle. All those super cheap FF D60's are 30 spline. Unless you find one of those rare 35 spline semi-float D60's like the one I sold Grant. :) :)

The full floater still makes it much easier to deal with a broken axle.

Last edited:
Beezil said:
in due time goatman!

in the meantime, gotta figger out a way to beef my front first!

I'm not gonna break another 60...starting now.

Well, you probably got it in a wedgie on that spot, and then something is going to give. I've seen some stout axles break in wedgies......a reminder for all of us to back off, move over, or get out the winch if we're in a bind. :D

What do you want to do to the front? I guess I thought you already had Warns and CTM's.

Goatman said:
Many still don't know that the only way to get a 35 spline D60 is with a custom axle. All those super cheap FF D60's are 30 spline. Unless you find one of those rare 35 spline semi-float D60's like the one I sold Grant. :) :)

You can also do a semi float 35 spline yourself.
You use 9inch big bearing housing ends and then 35 spline 9 inch shafts.

voila, a 35 spline, semi floating 60.

That's exactly what I intend to do for my rear when I get tired enough of the spool and want an ARB back there.

c-rok, I'll probably do custom shafts and a spool.

but I'd rather get some real shafts and u-joints for the front first!

no goat, ran stockers in moab.

C-ROK said:
You can also do a semi float 35 spline yourself.
You use 9inch big bearing housing ends and then 35 spline 9 inch shafts.

voila, a 35 spline, semi floating 60.

That's exactly what I intend to do for my rear when I get tired enough of the spool and want an ARB back there.

That's what all the custom 60's are....like my Tera60R. Those guys with the FF 60's can make them semi-floating 35 spline easier than they think, if they can have a machine shop install the bearings ends. Many speed shops and axle builders sell the Ford big bearing ends, then just order new alloy shafts. Normally, your going to get a new locker anyway, so get one that's 35 spline.

Beezil said:
I'd like to keep my housing and the fullfloat, and get 35 spline flanged shafts for it...

possible?

Yeah, it's been done plenty, but it doesn't always work. Evidently there are a couple of different spindles that are out there, some aren't thick enough to be opened up for the larger shafts and some are. I have no idea how to find the right ones, other than to measure a bunch of them. I've heard of the thinner ones failing. I checked this out before I did my rear end, since I had plenty of D60's available, but in the end decided to get the new axle.

A call to a few axle builders, or a post on POR might get you some better info. You probably have the equipment to hog out the spindle for the larger axle diamenter.

Last edited:
Possible

September issue of 4wheel7offroad did it. Used Yukon shafts from Randy's ring and pinion. The used a 1.5 machining bit and a spindle boring tool from Pro Fab motorsports. Machined the spindles to 1.5 inches and put in the new shafts.

Remind me to look for the "Beezil was here" signs and do a u-turn..I can't afford 60's much less anything else :p.

Once you go 35 splines Beez, you don't need a full floater anymore. You're done busting shafts at that point.

When I do mine I'll use the housing ends I cut off my busted housing. Currie sells housing ends for around $50-$75 I think.

Or you could just get a junkyard empty 9 housing and cut them off yourself.

The way I would do it would be to get a thick walled piece of tube, probably 3" OD and turn it down to match the ID of the 60 tube and the ID of the 9 inch tube stubs. This gives you a near certain alignment and a stronger joint at the interface point too. Weld it all up; maybe even do some rosettes on the axle tubes through to the sleeve inside.

35 spline shafts and bearings are $300 from Currie, Moser, Strange and others I'm sure.

These mid-coaster are all stuck on their full floaters. Goat, I laughed my *** off when I found out he was running 30 splines. I already tryed to tell them go big or stay home, but they are from the mid-coast.

Yes he was in a bind when he broke it. He did take a winch, afterwards. Don't listen to some bs story about pulling someone, sean wasn't even connected up at the time.

Beezil, 35 splines! :D

hinkley

Back