• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body men, rear-end accident victims, need advice. Please help!

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and was rear-ended pretty hard. I'm not going to get into it. I've already vented on another forum. So the hit was probably 20-30mph. Maybe more, I'm not an expert. A Saturn went under me, the hitch took the brunt of the hit. My cargo floor is raised a good 3"-4". The rear frame rails are buckled. The "z" in them is about 3" out. The whole back end is buckled down at the rear door rear pillar. All 4 doors are misalligned/jacked. My adjuster said the rear frame rails might have to be cut out forward of the rear axle and replaced. He said my XJ is worth 11K, minus 20% for salvage. So 9K. Here is my questions. Other people have said that's about a 8-10K job. Is my XJ totaled? Are the repairs going to be right, or just a band aid? I dropped it off at the body place and they said no problem, we can fix it. It's not my decision to have it totalled, but if it's iffy, maybe I can sway them. I just want it to be right, and not a lemmon. The only good thing is Progressive will warranty the work for as long as I own it, but it's not transferable. Any insight, experience, advice is very much appriciated. I just want to be able to make informed decisions. Thanks for any help you might have!
P.S. No one I care about was seriously hurt, just real sore.

Dirt Surfer said:
I have a 2000 XJ and was rear-ended pretty hard. I'm not going to get into it. I've already vented on another forum. So the hit was probably 20-30mph. Maybe more, I'm not an expert. A Saturn went under me, the hitch took the brunt of the hit. My cargo floor is raised a good 3"-4". The rear frame rails are buckled. The "z" in them is about 3" out. The whole back end is buckled down at the rear door rear pillar. All 4 doors are misalligned/jacked. My adjuster said the rear frame rails might have to be cut out forward of the rear axle and replaced. He said my XJ is worth 11K, minus 20% for salvage. So 9K. Here is my questions. Other people have said that's about a 8-10K job. Is my XJ totaled? Are the repairs going to be right, or just a band aid? I dropped it off at the body place and they said no problem, we can fix it. It's not my decision to have it totalled, but if it's iffy, maybe I can sway them. I just want it to be right, and not a lemmon. The only good thing is Progressive will warranty the work for as long as I own it, but it's not transferable. Any insight, experience, advice is very much appriciated. I just want to be able to make informed decisions. Thanks for any help you might have!
P.S. No one I care about was seriously hurt, just real sore.

No one you care about was hurt or no one?

First off, the XJ is a unibody, there is no true frame under it. From the description you give, it sounds to me that the entire unibody is bent/twisted up pretty good. Depending on the equipment that the body shop has I think it can be fixed...but I'm not sure if I would do it.

I would really have to see it to make an acurate determination as to which way I would go (got any pics?)....again, from your description I would try to get it totalled....

My $0.02.

Also the prices you are talking can buy you a 2000 or 2001 thats come back in off lease, XJ prices dropped typically like any model does thats dropped from production and replaced with a new model [liberty].

RichP said:
Also the prices you are talking can buy you a 2000 or 2001 thats come back in off lease, XJ prices dropped typically like any model does thats dropped from production and replaced with a new model [liberty].

This is how I would be thinking. If it was me, I would be looking at a different Jeep. Anyway you cut it this isn't a good thing. Try to get as much money as you can and buy a good used one if you can. Wrecked cars like you discribed yours are not very often right.

Curt

ya no matter how well they "fix it" an impact like that on a unibody will effect so manythings they won't see that will show up over time. If you are madly inlove with your xj then get it totaled and make it a trail rig!:D and buy a pretty new DD!

Well this is all for not. The repairs will cost 5-6K. Totalling is not an option. The only good thing is that I twisted my insurance companys arm and they will give me the cost of the bumper and everything that goes with it (~ $300) so I can buy an aftermarket bumper. Score! By the way I know it's a unibody, but they still have rails. They are replacing both rear rails. Thanks for your help guys!

Back