• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker or limited slip?

Should I run a Locker or limited slip

• Locker (lok-right,Aussie,Quik lock types)

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • limited slip

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy4mopar

NAXJA Forum User
I upgraded my axles on my stock 89 d30 to the ones with the 297x u-joints. My question is should I run a Locker or limited slip?
I don't plan on spending much on this d30 because I'm looking for a D44 from an early bronco.

Before answering, some people might think it important to know if you have a disconnect axle or not. Also, in your poll you didn't list either "Selectable Locker" or "None" as available choices. Therefore, you're not getting a full spectrum of opinions.

I don't think it really matters weather or not the front axle has a disconect. I have a lock-rite in my non-disco front end and it is invisable in 2HI.

Do you really need a front Locker or LS? I have found that most of the places I have wheeled so far my rear locker and stacking a couple rocks has got me out of 90% of my hang ups.

If you took the money and invested in a winch, then no matter where you go, as long as you can operate the winch and your not turned over, most likely that other 10% will be taken care of.

Just something to consider, and winch prices just seem to have dropped, :)

It's a non-disco.
I don't want a selectable locker due to price.
I've been told don't use a front locker unless you have done the hub conversion( warn or milemarker types).

Lee, do you want to run with the big dogs? :D
Having a front locker is all about not getting stuck. I've only been stuck a few times while in the rocks in the last two years. Once in JV, once on BLT, and once on the Rubicon. All the other times I've winched were the result of failed forward progress. ;)
If you're going to get a new front axle soon, don't spend money on the D30. If it's going to be a while, just drop the $200 for a lunchbox locker and have some fun. A front locker does a lot!

Jes

Had it all three ways

Open sucks, period, Folks who claim otherwise probably don't real-wheel much. I'd rather wheel a 5spd 2WD with a spool than an open/open 4x4 Jeep, but that's just me :)

True Trac Limited Slip = not bad. I found it's limitations on a couple trails, but for 90% of the routine east-coast trails, it did fine (backed up by a spooled 44 out back) It is going in the front of my DD with 4.10:1, but am undecided about locker or TT L/S out back yet. This XJ has a 242 AWD case and will rarely see any serious off-road... more of my all-weather car, so not much need for locker$.

Lunchbox Locker = invisible on road in 2 Hi, makes a world of difference off road on those 'other 10%' trails. Opens up a whole new world of real-wheeling potential, the only tradeoffs I found is a plowing while turning in the mud (on the gas) Not a big deal, just took getting used to and rethinking some 'old' lines.

Best of both worlds would probably be a selectable, but other than riding with a couple folks with them (Ox and ARB) I can't rate + or -. They seemed to work well is all I saw.

Since your 30 is to be a stepping stone, but you wanna run with the big dawgs... pop the $200 for an Aussie and have fun. Then as mentioned above, sell it to the next guy in line who wants real 4WD.

Scott Mac. said:
I don't think it really matters weather or not the front axle has a disconect. I have a lock-rite in my non-disco front end and it is invisable in 2HI.

I was under the impression that with a non-disco axle and without the hub conversion you would feel a locker in the steering. I've never thought through it all the way I guess. Is the locker disengaged the entire time you're in 2-HI because there is no torque going to the front axle, and thus you can't tell it's even there?

xj92 said:
I was under the impression that with a non-disco axle and without the hub conversion you would feel a locker in the steering. I've never thought through it all the way I guess. Is the locker disengaged the entire time you're in 2-HI because there is no torque going to the front axle, and thus you can't tell it's even there?

That's essentially correct. Lockers lock by ratchet, or pawl, action. When the axle shafts are turning the wheel, it locks. When the wheel is turning the axle shafts, it unlocks. In 2WD, the front axle shafts are always being turned by the wheels, so no locking.

Note what Woody wrote about "plowing" in mud. Where you'll see/feel the front locker is when turning with the front axle engaged. The locker will still unlock if you're coasting, but if you're on the gas to get around a turn, the locker will be engaged and you'll know it's there.

Mine is a poor example (old & woggly trail beast) but I couldn't tell much or any difference between EZ locked and open on a non-disco ax with oem hubs.

I can't say that I'd want to drive it home in front wheel drive :) and the other day I learned some reasons why not to 'shift on the fly' on dry pavement, but in 2 Hi mine hasn't really been an issue.

suck it kejtar

lockd.gif
Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back