• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD tie rod ends?

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to replace my pretzeled factory tie rod with a used Rusty's unit. I could have sworn that there was a tie rod end that had the same thread and taper pitch, but were much beefier than stock units. I tried 3/4 ton dodge ends, and while they thread into the tierod just fine, it looks as if the taper is bigger, but it may just be my eyes. I called Rusty up and he gave me PNs for jeep partes (Moog). Any info?

BTW Advance Auto has Federal Mogul steering parts with a lifetime warrany. sweet.

(n) on rusty's!

stoney

gee, thanks for all the insight, Stoney. Any one else with some idea?

Luke,
Did you try part number ES140 or the numbers Rusty's gave you.
BTW I am not sure why everyone is down on Rusty's stuff. While no doubt it is not as good as RE or probably JKS. I think the tie rod is not a bad deal. lets see it is beefier than stock, comes with ends, and is about $20 more than stock. Yea I see why that sux.

Brent, your###s and Rusty's ###s are the same (jeep parts).

Pat, you didn't ream the knuckles or anything? Just slid right in?

XJnation...um, my tierod doesn't have any welds to speak of. In fact, I don't think Ive ever seen a tierod with welds in it. Can you clarify?

Tried the 3/4 TREs and they were a no go. The threaded end of the TRE wouldn't even fit the knuckle (even though the tapers looked similar). Ended up using the jeep spares of 88XJ (thanks Brent).

I am building a tie rod from 1.5 .250 wall. Using Spidertrax tube ends.

I have heard of using Dodge ends...3/4 16.....what year/model or PN so i can buy them.

Rustys uses the same tube. Do they have weld on tube ends? What thread. They show PN ES140r and ES62L for they replacement ones. What thread are those numbers?What make/model are they made for?

Thanks

The HD tie rods I make use the 3/4-16 inserts. The Dodge TRE's for it are ES2847R and ES2848L that I believe were used in 86-93 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Tapers are the same as the Jeep's. Good luck!

I have heard of some folks using ZJ parts instead of stock replacements for an easy upgrade.. Here is a link to someone who has done it on a TJ, (which I might be foolishly assuming wouldn't matter but what would I know!! =-)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

Pictures and partnumbers are included at this link so take a look if you are interested.

George
00XJ

Lucas said:
Im trying to replace my pretzeled factory tie rod with a used Rusty's unit. I could have sworn that there was a tie rod end that had the same thread and taper pitch, but were much beefier than stock units. I tried 3/4 ton dodge ends, and while they thread into the tierod just fine, it looks as if the taper is bigger, but it may just be my eyes. I called Rusty up and he gave me PNs for jeep partes (Moog). Any info?

BTW Advance Auto has Federal Mogul steering parts with a lifetime warrany. sweet.

xjnation said:
We have seen several of these tierods fail at the welds, and the tierod pulls apart, it happenedd to Sean JV two years ago

what welds are there on the tie rod? its just a steel pipe with threaded ends.
how are the tierods pulling apart Rusty's fault, they dont build the tre's

after looking at everyone's products, Rusty's is the one I will be going with for now. I cant see spending $200+ for TRE's and a steel pipe..

Back