• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock problems... shocks gone bad??

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok, so I have RS 17318 (RSX shocks) in the rear and I happened to measure them today when I had one off and I got a nasty surprise..... Just to make sure that I wasn't imagining things, I ended up removing the other shock and measuring it as well.... Ok, the measurements are (from center of the hole to center of the hole, as the shock specs doc specifies) 13.75 compressed 20.75 uncompressed. This is only 7" of travel and it's nowhere near close to the 14.375 compressed and 22.875 uncompressed which results in 8.5" of travel (btw, both shocks are within 1/4" of each other). What gives???? I checked the stamp on both shocks and the numbers are right and I looked up the specs again (links below) and the specs don't match the shocks!!!! Even measuring outside of the shock (as in end to end) they are shorter uncompressed then compressed. The compression feels smooth as well as the uncompression..... So now... did I get a set of bad shocks? or are Rancho measurements so much off????

http://www.gorancho.com/documents03/03_shock_specs.pdf
http://www.gorancho.com/documents03/03_catalog_specs_1.pdf

Thanks
Kejtar

Although my printout is a couple years old......
RSX17318 comp-13.00" ext.-19.875" trav.-6.875"

I guess that was my point,how old was the stock when it came off the shelf!

no idea.... I'm gonna call up rancho on monday and then stop by 4wp as the length of the shock is so much off the measurement that I bought it for!!

Kejtar

RCP Phx said:
Although my printout is a couple years old......
RSX17318 comp-13.00" ext.-19.875" trav.-6.875"

That's what is printed in my (paper) Rancho Master Catalog 2001. Interestingly, the 9129 gets a tad more travel, but only because the compressed length is slightly shorter. Extended length is the same.

According to Rancho, the size has changed in 1998 (as in they made them longer in 1998) and I ended up with old STOCK!!!!!!! GRRRR
Anyways Rancho told me to go to 4wp and have them deal with it if they give me grief, they will fedex them to me overnight :D Cool..... I get new longer shocks for free :D

Kejtar

Update...

FYI 4WP still has old stock on hand!!! GRRRR So now I'm on hold with Rancho hoping that they will let me pick those shocks up from LB personally instead of dealing with UPS as I need to get them in before Moab and the way things are going

So I picked up a pair of shocks from their warehouse went home... and the SOB's are just as short as the other ones!!! I know I know I should have measured, but I didn't expect the main warehouse to have 4 year old stock!!! Talk about lunacy!!!

Kejtar

Back