• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Meet and Greet Chat

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Due to conflicting personal schedules and upcoming events it was suggested that we should consider doing a "virtual meet and greet" using chat. Provided that we get the chat capability restored, I suggest Wednesday 26th 9pm :)
Once we get a fair amount of people agreed to it, I will post an announcement on the non tech forum as well as on the main NAXJA page :) (with BOD blessing that is)

Kejtar

It looks like I need to get the home computer up and running after moving after all! That sounds good to me.

Great idea! :D

keep us posted on interest and timing.

mark hinkley

Sounds good to me. Also, is there any way to get rid of the annoying slow refresh (blanks the screen out) on that system? Or is that a Macintosh specific problem? (If so it's no big deal, I'll just remember to bring the laptop home that night)

Sequoia
(with the smaller aviator)

Personally I think the face to face is better. You aren't going to be able to fit everyones schedule that is just the way it is. I would like some direction from Richard G or others on what needs to be done so we don't waste time on details that aren't important.

Well, I would definitely like to meet more of the people from SoCal, there are many whom I haven't meet. I would even drive down for an evening meeting if that was the only way to do it. Unfortunately, with family events and runs that are already planned, I don't have a totally free weekend until June, and then I could only go on Sat. we just need to keep kicking it around until we get a good idea of who can do what and then go with the majority.

We will have a decent group of us together at JV on April 12, and if a few more wanted to drive out for the day or so we could set aside some time to talk about the chapter. We could then follow up with some chat time, and forum discussion to get some final plans going. One thing to remember is that we have no deadline, and we don't need to be in a hurry. We don't want to let the idea die while we have a little momentum going here, either.

I would participate in a chat, and we can try to get many questions answered before then. I would not be able to be involved in an evening chat until after March 1st, but the week after that is fine. Mon, Tues, or Thurs would work for me, with Tues and Thurs the best.

Richard G

Let's try for a chat on Tuesday March 4th to start with. We can ask things then to get the rest of it going and then we can put a tenative face to face out at JV on April 12th weekend.

If this sounds good someone will just need let us newbies to chat know what to do when.

mark
hinkley

Chat nights

OK... lets try to shoot for Mon March 3rd 8pm :) (sorry guys but I can't participate on Tue or Thu :( ).

As much as I believe that a meeting in person would be the best, judging by upcoming schedule requests it will be virtually next to impossible.

In regards to chat, I will post instructions as we get closer to the date (at this moment NAXJA chat is unavailable so posting them would be a moot point).

Kejtar

[quote:6a21703ef6="GSequoia"]Sounds good to me. Also, is there any way to get rid of the annoying slow refresh (blanks the screen out) on that system? Or is that a Macintosh specific problem? (If so it's no big deal, I'll just remember to bring the laptop home that night)

Sequoia
(with the smaller aviator)[/quote:6a21703ef6]

That "annoying slow refresh" is the nature of alot of chat software. If it continually streamed a live feed to everybody, resource use would go through the roof. Live stuff... Instant Messenger programs, IRC are all better suited to that if you do not want a refresh time period.

Cheers.

Well not just the fact that it takes a bit to refresh, that I understand. But on the old chat software (I noticed that you're using different software now, or have you just not polished it yet?) when it was doing the refersh it would blank out the chat window for a half second or so, like I said, I noticed that on the Mac, not the PC (never did chat that I remember on the PC). It's not a big deal, I just like to point out little things.

Sequoia

Oh, one more thing. NOt sure if you can change it, but when you send somebody an AIM message from this forum it says "Hello anybody there" (or something like that), Might put something about NAXJA in that initial thing it puts up there, just a thought that's completely unimportant.

Re: Chat nights

[quote:10c1a32aab="Kejtar"]OK... lets try to shoot for Mon March 3rd 8pm :) (sorry guys but I can't participate on Tue or Thu :( ).

Kejtar[/quote:10c1a32aab]

Well, I work until 9:00 on Monday the 4th. If we start at 8:00 I'll have to make sure my work computer will let me on to chat. Our systems admin has us locked down pretty good with Internet securuty software, so many sites and functions I can't access at work. I'll try it out to see, and hopefully I won't be busy. Tues works much better for me.

Richard G

Tuesday works better for me too.

Early like 8pm my bedtime is not too long after that! :shock:

mark
hinkley

Webteam...

I'll gladly let you know how things work on the Macside anytime. If you need just drop me an e-mail and I'll check it out as soon as I can. (The Mac is at home, so I can generally check it after work)

Sequoia

Chat...

For all intents and purposes NAXJA chat is a regular webpage (more or less) to all the computers so there should be no reason that you would have any problems with logging on from work. The URL if anyone wants to test it is: http://www.naxja.org/chat/index.php .

Also if we could try for Monday Wednesday or Friday night? Possibly weekend night? I can't really do anything on Tuesdays nor Thursdays :(

Kejtar

Work on any computer...

C'mon Remi, you know better than to make a statement like that!

Sequoia

(Doesn't work for *** in IE on the Mac, I've posted my findings on the Help Forum)

Back