• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Places to buy R&P

Dirk Funk

NAXJA Forum User
I searched various threads on which R&P manufacturers to buy from, so now my question is from whom should I buy them. I want to go with Rusty, his prices seem bitchin. Anyone know what Rusty sells? If they are crap, any other places you all would like to refer me?

My junk info is 93 with a 8.25 goin to 4.56 on an AX-15. Daily Driver on 31s goin to 33s eventually.

Anyone want to buy some 3.07s? They are SOOOO cool, I swear!

For the front go for the dana r&p and for the rear I got precision and so far (almost 2 years and 60K later) no complaints... I got mine through DTD

What you really want to stay away from is Genuine Gear. IIRC the Dana spicer for front was recommended as the best and the superior was either the top recommendation or one of top two for hte rear.

Kejtar

I am Very Pleased with the thick 4.88 Rubicon Yukon gears, and the service I got from Randys Ring and Pinion fer my D44's.

They really know how to take care of a guy at randys!

I had problems with getting the wrong rear gear set from them at first and ended up missing the big labor day mudrun. A bunch of things did not start out the best getting the wrong parts and all, and then not getting the replacements because of a computer glitch on their new system that prevented the nextday air shipment for saturday dilivery.

That was not cool... I Missed out on one of the biggest mudruns of the year that I really wanted to go to being the leader of the pack up here...

So I called monday and talked to the manager, I believe his name was mike.
Mike says he will look into it and call me back as soon as he can. ok, so I pop in "Pirates of the Rubicon" video thinking it will be a while before he gets back and about 5 mins into the video He calls me back, tells me that I should have gotten the right gears in the first place, the first time I called and that this whole deal was bullshit. He then goes on to tell me that this is not how you do busness and appolgized all over the place and said "You know what, I am so sorry about all this, I'm gonna refund ALL your money." I said "Are you serious?!!!"

Now, I donno if you people know, but thick 4.88 rubicon gear set is $200 just for the gears and special spacers. My order was for Gears front and back with full install kits. My bill was not pretty, so when he said that he was going to give me all my money back, I could not believe it.

I waited for the mail for confermation that my creditcard had been credited and when it came there was a bonus! not only did they even refund my shipping costs, but they gave me money back on 2 pinion seals that were suposed to be Rubicon front axle seals.

Then, when I finnaly got my right gears I set them up that night! the guys at randys will help you every step of the way if need be. They seem to know a great deal about axles and It is my guess, that when they get the computer bug fixed everything will flow smothe and you will get the right parts the first time.

That is unless you go to put a rubicon rear locker in an 88 dana 44 :)
the problem with getting the wrong gears was the first guy I talked to did not know rubicon axles and that they use thick gears. I bet you he knows now.

On the back of the randys resiept it says that performance gears are louder then stock gears. Well, I can't hear them at all but that might just be the swamper humm covering its tail.

As I said I am happy with randys ring and pinion and would do busness with them again.

Too Many Hours Left Till Moab!
:peace:

So just cause I'm curious, can someone explain to me why I have to get a new carrier for the 30, and where I can get one from? Thanks for the responses.

The D30 carrier break is 3.55-dn and 3.73-up.It would be a good time for an upgrade(Full case locker/LS)!

Just did mine...

D30 - Precision
8.25 - US Gear

In my opinion the D30 is pretty straight forward, the 8.25 is the one to get right, Superior or US gear, Precision for the 8.25...watch out or you may end up like me with a real nice paper weight.

Whatever you do don't get it from Tellico4X4, thsoe guys can't get their supply chain right but you can't compalin about their prices tho.

I'll second Drive Train Direct...

They got Jeepers that'll give you the straight shot on the phone...

I got all Spicer gears, master kits... all new bearings.... both lockers and a compressor..... all for about $200 cheaper than anyone else....

RCP, I am still a bit confused; forgive my ignorance. It sounds like what you are saying is that the D30 carrier isn't strong enough for gears as deep as 4.56? I am not familiar with the term carrier break.

Also what troubles me is that I don't want any LS or lockers right now. I am content to run with open diffs for a while longer until I wheel to the point when I need them. Is it possible to do this gear swap without throwing in some traction device?

No it is not that the carrier is not strong enough... it is that with 3.55 and down it places the ring gear further away from the pinion. 3.73 and up places the ring gear closer to the pinion.

This means you will need atleast a stock 3.73 gear ratio and up to do your gear swap.

They can be found on ebay for a good deal sometimes. I just did a search and I find 2 carriers with spider gears and 4.11 gears indicating that it is 3.73 and up. they are currently at $53.

anyone else have any ideas where he can get a stock D30 3.73 and up carrier with the spiders?

Last edited:
What I was trying to say was that since you need a new carrier,you might want to look into your future needs so you dont throw away your new carrier later.

Back