• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 problem

PAUL B

NAXJA Forum User
I just found out that the d44 on my babby Is out of a cj7. It was a direct bolt on I had no problems with the install. Its in the shop getting regeared and haveing a power trax noslip put in, thaths how I found out (the noslip would'nt fit). what can I do.

Last edited:
Why did the No-Slip, No-Fit?

CRASH

The NO slip should fit fine, however that axle is about 3" narrower than stock..

I think cj7's are like 55.5" width...

the wide track CJ7 are about 58 in width. but it makes no sense in why it wouldn't fit. a 44 is a 44 except for a few raritys but thats not one of them.

I dont know yet. Im on my way over to the the shop to get my babby. btu the shop manage said somethin about a center bolt .I think he is mistaken about the cj7 thing

That's what I'm saying.....a 44 is a 44 is a 44, unless you are trying to put a No Slip designed for a Trak-Loc case into an open carrier, or vice versa.

If it was a CJ rear diff, it would be 58 inches wide, and show evidence of being re-drilled from 5 on 5.5" to 5 on 4.5".

CRASH

OK. This is what I have so far. After the re-gear was done the mech. couldnt get teh no-slip to fit. They called Mike from richmond gear,( tech suport) and gave the tag number off the housing. Mike said that the d44 was from a cj7 wide trake, and that the "center pin" is held in place with "c" clips not a bolt. And they don't make a no-slip for that carrer. so what do yall think?
when I got the d44 every thing was intact drum to drum. I felt bad for whoever had it before me cause the brakes were brand new. the swap was easy every thing fit. so I dont know about that cj7 thing. so what next:confused:

Last edited:
Did you measure the axle width? Had it been redrilled for the small bolt pattern?

I'm having trouble believing the CJ 7 thing.

If it really is a CJ axle, however, just get yourself a full case locker like a Detroit or an ARB and have the shop put that in for you.

CRASH

I think its got to be a "Trac-loc" carrier,they use the C-clip pin!

A trash-Lok is a limited slip. Lunch-box lockers replace spider/side gears in a standard open differential. Therefore, you need a new carrier to use the locker.

As it just so happens, I've got one from my front D44. I'm in Upland, CA & you can have it.

PAUL B said:
OK. This is what I have so far. After the re-gear was done the mech. couldnt get teh no-slip to fit. They called Mike from richmond gear,( tech suport) and gave the tag number off the housing. Mike said that the d44 was from a cj7 wide trake, and that the "center pin" is held in place with "c" clips not a bolt. And they don't make a no-slip for that carrer. so what do yall think?
when I got the d44 every thing was intact drum to drum. I felt bad for whoever had it before me cause the brakes were brand new. the swap was easy every thing fit. so I dont know about that cj7 thing. so what next:confused:

These guys didn't know what a LSD looks like & they're doing your re-gear? Oi! I dont let 'technicians' work on my rig that know less than I do..........consequently I do most of my own work.

the trany shop is one of two shops in the New Orleans area that has a case spreader, and they charge 200$ less thn the other. so its not much of a choice. So far the I've done all my own work :skull2:. Ventage pm me with your # I'll call and see what we can work out

vintagespeed said:
A trash-Lok is a limited slip. Lunch-box lockers replace spider/side gears in a standard open differential. Therefore, you need a new carrier to use the locker.

The power trax no slip line has drop in lockers for the L/S carriers thats why they are popular.

Back