• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilsteins 5100

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone who has them on the front tell me if the bar pins in the eyelets are in via a molded/vulcanized rubber, or do they come uninstalled with poly-type bushings?

I can't find any really good pictures and I'm trying to decide if I want to buy them. I've been using bar pin eliminators for my previous shocks to stop the rattle, or whatever you call the effect from the bar pins when not using something to keep them pressed in the eyelets tightly. They've been installed for so long, the won't come apart due to rust and have to be tossed out.

I have Bilstein 4600 shocks on my 3/4-ton and I love them. But, the pickup uses bolts that tighten down one the eyelets.

my front 5100 do not have a bar pin, they a are post mount with provided bushings and hardware. If you are ordering these shocks they will be sent according to your vehicle and its up to you to pick the correct length of DT/UT, perhaps contributing to your chatter. Rears are bar pin. with that said the front and rear are not the same UT/down travel. anyhow great choice of shock!

If you are uncertain of anything contact bilstein and they will help you, their customer service has been very on point for me.

Last edited:
I wasn't asking for part numbers or lengths. And if yours does not have bar pins, then your not helping me. My 87 has them on the bottom of the fronts, and the top of the rears. That's how American Motors built it. That's all I'm asking.

Molded = Yes or No

I have 5125's on my XJ (non-reservoir) and yes the lower front mount has bar pins. The stock Bilstein bushing is black poly and is pressed in and captured with lips, not molded in. You could certainly remove the poly bushing if you wanted. I don't remember if the bar pins I used were included with the shock or if IRO sent them with the rest of my 3" lift kit. It was easy to press the bar pins into the poly bushing with some anti-seize as lube and using a vice. After a year they are still tight with no noise that I've noticed. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have 5125's on my XJ (non-reservoir) and yes the lower front mount has bar pins. The stock Bilstein bushing is black poly and is pressed in and captured with lips, not molded in. You could certainly remove the poly bushing if you wanted. I don't remember if the bar pins I used were included with the shock or if IRO sent them with the rest of my 3" lift kit. It was easy to press the bar pins into the poly bushing with some anti-seize as lube and using a vice. After a year they are still tight with no noise that I've noticed. Hope this helps.
Yes, that helps a lot. The shocks I have on now are of the typical twin-tube style. They've been on so long, I don't remember what brand, but similar to the low-end lifted shock. They came with poly bushings, and bar pins that needed to be installed. Once installed, they rode as if the shock itself was loose, absolutely horrible. So, I installed bar-pin eliminators. But, the eliminators havce been on so long that they are seized and will not come apart. So, in the recycle pile they went.

I was hoping for a quality shock absorber that would not do that.

Back