• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 carrier backlash question

The Badness

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, got a 99 xj classic with a solid D30 non modified in the front. AW4 if I matters.
Replacing my inner seals (replaced hub bearing and did my ujoints, screwed up the long shaft seal in the process). ill be cleaning out my tubes as I believe the packed mud inside them led to my damaging the seal when reinstallin the shaft. I'll have to remove the carrier. I've never done this before and I'm asking my questions and doing the research now.

If I'm pulling the carrier and just putting it back in (marking positions and such of course), no mods to the carrier at all. I shouldn't have any backlash issues as long as I take note of shim position? I won't be touching the pinion at all. Just the seals and carrier. Any tricks to make it easier? I've already built an extension that'll suit my needs as far as pressing the seals back in with the use of a 36mm socket, I'm just worried about backlash.

It shouldn't change anything. Make sure you get the races back on their original sides. Mark the bearing caps l/r up and down so they get installed correctly. Torque them to spec. So one you get the caps off the side bearings and are ready to pull the carrier, turn the Pinoin by hand and that will work the differential out with out using a prybar. Don't drop the carrier! The shins are under the side bearings iirc so you won't have to worry about getting those mixed up.

Back