• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie lift question 2000 XJ

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
my rear springs are shot and i need new tires so im thinking about doing a small lift and new rubber.
2000 Xj daily driver, i use it on some trials in the woods but no real offroad.
currently stock with 235/75/15s

i am wondering what size lift i could go with to still keep a smooth ride but move up to 30s or 31s without rubbing.
what size lift can you go up to without having drive shaft issues?

what you guys recommend?
thanks. read a bunch of posts but a lot seemed contradicting or confusing to me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C53ZSC...TF8&colid=1CY9W9X7FI3VI&coliid=I13HMSZLO83RB6

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1YAZS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

It will yeild you a factory style "Up Country" lift. Will clear 30-31in tires. I did the same but used a differnt front spring...you can see details and photos on my build thread. link is at bottom of my signature.

I Didnt wanna poop on your other thread (welcome, btw), but crown is a bottom of the barrel overseas distributor... I wish you the best of luck with those leafs...

I second the UN-recommendation for Crown stuff.

Lemme tell ya . . . got my Y2K XJ maybe three years ago. Rear leafs were shot. Wanted to lift it "a little" and ONLY "a little" because I had read too much internet forum stuff about "Slip Yoke Eliminators" and things that sounded scary, expensive, and WAAAAAAAY beyond my abilities to Do It Myself.

Being a stupid idiot, as I am, I somehow convinced myself that the best thing to do would be to start with replacing my saggy leafs with OEM (Crown) leaves, and THEN add a budget baby lift to that.

Went with a Rubicon Express 2" Add-a-leaf kit. Got everything installed all by myself and felt like a proud Big Boy (once I got the alignment fixed because before that . . . holy shit. Death wobbles from hell.).

Only took about a YEAR for those Crown leaves and those add-a-leaves to start drooping again - to be fair I added an extended shackle, (because you WILL want more lift, just like everyone told me that I would) and I still think those things put ungodly pressure on leaves somehow because flat leaves and extended shackles seem to go hand in hand.

Anyway, I'm now sitting at 3.5 on 32's (cut my fenders, something I never thought I'd be able to do) and I'm happy. Havent' done the Slip Yoke Eliminator yet, but I'm going to, soon.

The (intended) moral of this story is to save your time and money in the short term, and buy slightly more than you think you want, and buy quality parts. It doesn't allow for instant gratification. But with cheaper stuff you aren't really getting instant gratification. You're getting not quite, but almost immediate buyer's remorse.

Back