• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding more lift to existing lift.

Nichkojr.7

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I have a 98 xj that's lifted 3 inches. I found a 2 in "budget" lift. It includes shackles and poly spacers that go on top of the coils. For 50 bucks on CL I was wondering if I needed to do anything major if I added this on to make it a total of 5 inches of lift. It looks like brake lines were lengthen In the back. Im not sure about the front. Would I have to add a track bar and have to drop the T-case?
Thanks!

You really need an adjustable track bar, and I'd recommend a 'double shear'
And either a t-case drop or a sye and driveline....

Then there's shocks, and steering....

It can be done but to do it right it will take a little more work

I'm running exactly what you are proposing. Here are my suggestions:

1. Buy the Teraflex 2" coil spacers ($50)
2. Go to a junk yard and get Dodge Ram 1500 pickup rear shackles ($5 each)
3. Buy a double shear adjustable track bar. You will need to drill out the track bar mount on the axle side
4. Get an SYE. I run a simple hack and tap. I didn't need to do a t-case drop. You will have to make adjustments to the rear driveline. I run an 8.8 so I use an OEM XJ front drive shaft with the Ford mounting bracket. If you have a D35 or ChryCo 8.25 I'm not certain on your options.
5. Buy a set of lower control arm drop brackets
6. Go to the local 4x4 store and offer the guy behind the counter $30 for a set of 4 "take off" shocks from a JK Rubicon that they were just paid an obscene amount of money to do a lift on.
7. Pick up longer brake lines. On the front I use Chevy pickup lines.
8. Install it all and go.

Jbh97009 is right - it is more than just the shackles and spacers. It can be done, but it is a commitment of time, money, and work. There are other things involved like bumpstops and limit straps (maybe) but that can be addressed at a later date.

Back