• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting the front stock skidplate

Alpine Jim

NAXJA Forum User
I know that not everyone runs the front skid, but I have decided to try it and see for myself whether I like it. Given that currently I am at stock height and when I lift it I probably won't go over 3 inches, I think the extra protection around the steering components might be worth it.

Here is my question: Along the front edge of the skid, there are 6 holes, and none of them really seem to match up with existing holes in the 'cross-member' thing-a-ma-jigger that is there. Actually, a couple of them line up but seem smaller than the corresponding holes in the skid and I am thinking I may have to drill them out. No biggie really, but wondered if I am missing something here? The FSM diagram seems to show some stud like bolts coming down from the top and then a nut on the bottom, which I can rig up. I am thinking to run 4 bolts along there as I see no benefit to 6. What sayest thou?

And then for the back edge that goes up to the 'frame' by the sway bar mounts. One side has three holes and the other only one. On my 'frame' on the side with three holes, only one has a captive nut or something on the back side and the other two are just holes. Would I need threaded inserts in those holes? Or just go with the one bolt? Kind of seems like if the one side can get by with only one bolt then maybe this other side can too? Or is that just not doing things right?

What is the stock set-up here and should I be doing something different than what I have in mind above?

** if this should be in OEM Tech, feel free to move.

Last edited:
the stock setup would have studs that hang down along the front cross member, i used 1/4-20 hardware, fit fine, and yes only 3 of the 6 line up. the others i think are for rivet holes for the air dam?

yes at the sway bar mount areas, one side uses 3 bolts, the other only one...seems silly to me.
my 92 had all the weld nuts on the other side, yours should too. you could get it up there with the single weld nut, then use nuts and bolts for the other two though.
you are on the right track

I put a factory skid on mine. The holes are punched but need to be threaded. I like the skid, looks good and it tough for most things. Obviously not for hardcore offroad, but ive ran into a boulder that didn't budge, stopped my jeep in its tracks, and only scratched the paint.

D'oh - forgot to ask if anyone knows what size bolt goes into the existing inserts that I do have the two at the sway bar side??

I can figure it out by trial and error but that means I have to buy or borrow a few from the hardware store until I get it right.

D'oh - forgot to ask if anyone knows what size bolt goes into the existing inserts that I do have the two at the sway bar side??

I can figure it out by trial and error but that means I have to buy or borrow a few from the hardware store until I get it right.

Good luck figuring out what are the right bolts and where to find them. Could be a problem for you. I bought the Rusty's front skid which comes with the mounting hardware. It is a stout piece of hardware that not only protects the steering components but also makes a good cross-member. Normally I avoid Rusty's but this is the best front skid as far as I could find. Maybe you could get the mounting hardware from them.

Good luck figuring out what are the right bolts and where to find them. Could be a problem for you. I bought the Rusty's front skid which comes with the mounting hardware. It is a stout piece of hardware that not only protects the steering components but also makes a good cross-member. Normally I avoid Rusty's but this is the best front skid as far as I could find. Maybe you could get the mounting hardware from them.

I have a box full of old OEM bolts of various sizes and shapes. They must be a pretty popular bolt because I found 10 of them in my box, above and beyond the ones that are holding up my skid plate.

The head is a 15 mm and the markings on them either have an anchor and a #2 or a weird line and a number 6 (or 9) depending how you hold it. It's one inch long with an unthreaded lip and the washer is part of the bolt. I use 3 sets of the smaller nut/bolt/washer combos across the front lip. I just found those floating around my shop.

Shoot me your address Alpine Jim and I'll drop a couple of the big ones in the mail to you - my treat! You are your own for the little ones....

9DD69948-6972-4FD6-AFBA-1ED3E962DFE3_zps7xwfshbe.jpg

2852EB03-DE87-46B4-A18A-6C7064B9FC60_zps290kxzbr.jpg

Last edited:
You are surely welcome. I'm in Texas until Monday. I'll take care of it next week.

you could make it modified tech by throwing some rock lights in it :sunshine:

but you're right they don't last long for hard wheeling, crushed mine flat within a year

CIMG0005.jpg

Jim, I'm dropping these bolts in the mail this afternoon.

The factory setup used studs into the crossmember

frontskid.gif

On mine, I just dropped some M8 bolts through the top. The holes in the crossmember seem to be threaded, but its only sheetmetal. Enough to hold the bolt in place for positioning, wouldn't rely on it for actually holding it up

Mailman said you should have the bolts by Thursday. Good luck!

Back