• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One ton-ing a 30

Black Squirrel

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently working on a daily driver/hunting/fishing/camping/expedition jeep, but I will go more into that later on.

Right now I am working on the steering.

The drag link, tie rod and track bar are being made from 1.5" x .25" DOM. The tie rod and drag link are using GM one ton tie rod ends. The track bar is using 7/8" heims.

Long story short the track bar and upper control arm on the passenger side are slightly in the way of each other.

Part of me wants to 3 link it, and set the track bar mount up vertical.

The other part says to keep the 4 link, even when I do long arms, just because technically it will be stronger (even if a 3 link is strong enough).

Anyway, option 1 and option 2:

DSC02013.JPG

DSC02016.JPG

DSC02014.JPG

DSC02015.JPG

Jks over axle bracket. Also I highly recommend using centered coil buckets, I didn't and hate my reduced steering radius due to my otk tie rod hitting the front of the buckets.

Edit: I see your going under the knuckle so you shouldn't have clearance issues. Wont you need to use the OE mounting location for the drag link then?

Last edited:
Usually adjustability in frame side mounts give you the ability to mount the link lower not higher which will only worsen it's relation to the draglink. What he's asking is why over you going UTK steering but OTK trackbar?

It doesn't really matter where the trackbar is mounted on the axle as long as the lengths and angles line up. Heres about where I am at now, I will have to box in an area for the track bar bracket to sit on.

DSC02017.JPG

DSC02018.JPG

DSC02019.JPG

DSC02020.JPG

I don't see an actual question, what information are you actually looking for?

I used the jks mount so it was not in the way of the passenger side upper. Now if you plan on doing a 3-link, put it where it best suits you. We can't speak to how you may build your 3-link.

if you want to keep the factory 4 link style cut off the pass side upper mount and angle it back a bit, or run a different trackbar mount, or 3 link it and run it on either driver or pass side , and if pass side, you run an angled mount further back to clear the TB . tons of options. you have to choose a setup and then go from there

I think you are going to have diff cover, sway bar link mount and TB mount interference issues at full steering lock. I'd check that and make sure you have full lock to lock steering then worry about the TB mount.

The only reason I bring it up is because it looks really close and I had that issue on my XJ.

Good deal. I'd ditch the upper and go three link. Use the RK joint in the driver side axle uppper and never look back. I loved the way my three link flexed.

Why not run the steering otk? The flatter the better when it comes to steering and you are doing all the other work involved that some people want to avoid and thus compromise with utk steering.

Back