• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end supension (4 bar link calc)

Finaltheorem47

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm designing the front end suspension for my XJ and I'm pretty sure I got what I want. It will have the 4 links plus a track bar and the main purpose of my XJ is a daily driver so street performance is priority while offroad characteristics is secondary.

Can someone take a look at my numbers and tell me if I'm doing anything wrong?

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/gPrbWt3g/file.html

Thanks, Finaltheorem

Might be easier if you post screen shots, as people aren't going to want to download a file.

I'm a little confused, what type of 4-link are you looking to build?

If you're looking to build a dual triangulated front 4-link, you shouldn't need a panhard (trackbar).

As well, a 4-link with good number's doesn't really fit on the front end of an XJ without major modification.

If you're not trying to do a dual triangulated 4-link, then I would look at doing a 3-link with panhard.

While I would have loved to been able to fit a dual-tri 4-link up front in my XJ buggy, I went with a 3-link with panhard since I still wanted a LCOG rig and nothing hanging below the belly.

Good point, let me snap a screenshot:

jeep_geometry_1.png

jeep_geometry_2.png

jeep_geometry_3.png

jeep_geometry_4.png

Not to be a jerk but if your goal is to DD and sometimes offroad a Cherokee, why not just do that? You shouldn't need a custom 4-link to DD & occasionally drive down a trail...

If I were you, drop playing with the 4-link calculator, and pick up the 3-link w/ panhard calculator.

Even then, it's "meh" for a 3-link in respect to an XJ front end.

For an XJ front 3-link with panhard:
- Keep the lower links as flat as you can at ride height
- Try to make them somewhat longer, and tucked up if possible
- Put the upper link where it fits

A 3-link on the front of an XJ is more of "put stuff where it fits" kind of thing.

To get good "numbers" with a front 3-link (and really 4-link as well), you'd need to have your upper(s) above the current floorboard.

Search around here for three link fronts, and then try to mimic them :D

Back