• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift using factory control arms

Imjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering how much lift i can run using my factory control arms right now I have rustys 3in coils and i have a friend who will sell me a set of 2in pucks for 20 bucks can i get away with running that much lift and the factory arms I'm assuming that a new track bar will be a nessescity. but what ill effects will this have if any fender clearence isnt a real prob since they are allready pretty hacked up. and one more thing is it ok to run a crossmember that has a built in drop like rustys and then use the little crossmember spacers on top of that to lower it more as a temp fix till i can afford a sye.
Thanks alot
Josh

Judging from the Rusty's stuff I've seen, your 3" coils are probably at about 2" so adding the spacers will give you about 4" front height. Should be ok, on the street, with the stock LCAs for awhile. The problem you're gonna have is that the short stock LCAs will allow the axle to swing in a tight arc under the rig when the suspension flexes. This would be bad with weak stock arms and any kind of tough spot. If you're all about the street then you should be fine, but if you wheel it, get some good LCAs. And get something that has JJs in them for flex.

me too

I have about the same situation, I have a 3 inch Rough Country lift, and a pair of 1.75 pucks just dieing to be put on. In three weeks I'm going to a run at Clayton OK. and would like the extra lift. (Have some 1.5 shackles coming for the rear)

I was planning to use the coil spacers, and remove the stock isolators.

I still have the stock track bar also.

What am I risking by doing this now and getting Arms and track bar later. Running out of time and money to get all done before Clayton.

We are going to trailer the XJ there and back, so only time on trails will apply.

Thanks

I'm runnin 4" on stock arms on my junk and I've beat the hell outta it.

the bushings don't last long, but other than that, I haven't had a darn problem.

There's a guy in washington runnin approx 6" on stock arms and he beats his junk even harder than I beat mine.

I'd worry more about the control arm mounts (axle and body end) more than I'd worry about the arms themselves.

Some great info here. I am going to run the same steup as JEONLYEP on my 87 beater. Trying to stay as LOW budget as possible.
Would love to hear anyone elses stories?

You DO NOT want to use a rusty's drop cross member and a additional lowering kit, that is too far to lower the transfer case. As long as you have the older xj then you should be fine with 4.5" of lift or less with possibility of only a trans drop kit (as long as you shim the axle to compensate for the angles of the driveshaft.

I run 4.5" of lift on stock arms and it is a little rough but it works ok for now. I do not think it is a permanent situation but should work ok and it does align ok. You can use a stock track bar at that height also, again not a permanent solution but ok for a while.

If you are useing lift blocks or shackles for lift in the back you might need to lengthen the driveshaft.

Also, make sure your break lines are long enough!!!

Michael

Iv got same problem..... I am currently running 4.5 inches of lift with the stock lca;s but i have lca drops also .... im gettin 1.5 rustys shackles this week and makin my own spacers and ill be at 6 inches.... Do i have to get new trac bar, lcas,ucas, or anything else... or can i live without for now..... i dont wheel to much for now until i get my sye....(opions, choices, suggestions for what type of CHEAP, RELIABLE sye to get and driveshaft....) thanks

2xtreme said:

I run 4.5" of lift on stock arms and it is a little rough but it works ok for now. I do not think it is a permanent situation but should work ok and it does align ok. You can use a stock track bar at that height also, again not a permanent solution but ok for a while.

If you are useing lift blocks or shackles for lift in the back you might need to lengthen the driveshaft.

Also, make sure your break lines are long enough!!!

Michael
Will double check brak line length. I'm only going to do this untill I decide on and can afford LCAs. But am hoping this will relieve some of my rubbing issues.
Thanks......

Sweet i can be cheap for now and just go with what i got thanks for all the info guys you just made my day. now all i gotta do is worry about traffic court in the morn. hopefully i'll still have a DL so i can drive to tellico sunday

You guys must have some pretty awesome steering if you're running 6" with stock LCAs. Isn't wearing out bushings a sign of f-cked up geometry? :rolleyes:

Back