• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Problem?

100K XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
So I've spent about a solid week searching for this issue on :NAXJA: and google with no luck, so here goes:

Late December I did some simple mods to my '01 XJ (auto, 4.0, np231, 105k miles, 4.5'' lift) including a transmission flush and OEM cooler install. I drove it 300 miles back home- no problems. Then, a couple weeks ago I found a few hills and rocks to climb nearby and halfway through the outing I noticed when in 4low the engine would over rev and slip (just like a transmission with the wrong fluid), and catch very suddenly, be fine, then repeat. I used Dex/merc III btw. I did some troubleshooting and found that 2wd worked, 4hi worked, but 4low was tough getting the handle into gear (bit of gear grinding), then once it was in it would slip every time.

Every once in a while I noticed it pop out of 4low into neutral so i figured my linkage needed adjustment- that didn't help. I went to check my fluid (no leaks) and I believe in trying to I cracked the rear half of the case above the plug. :doh:
At this point I may as well break the case open, but what could be causing the slippage? Could it be the range fork? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hope its that easy. Anyone have a part number they've used? Since I'll be in there what else should I inspect or replace?

Problem remains. Sounds like its internal...

X2 on the fork pads. If the linkage is adjusted correctly your pads may be worn.

Btw did you ever get the fill plug removed to check the fluid level?

If you cracked the case it is done. Find a case locally & swap it out, np231 & np242 TC's are plentiful & inexpensive + the swap is a very easy job. Good luck.

Plug is still on the case, no way its coming off without a breaker bar or impact drill. I may find a nice 231C at the local P&P and change my chain thickness to 1.25", and as long as the 213C case fits the 231J I'll have that also ready to install.

heating the material around the plug with a propane torch for 30 or 40 seconds will loosen that fill/drain plug nicely.

Ah ok, i'll try that when the time comes, thanks for the tip.

So I finally gutted my case and reassembled it with the same issue...still slips in 4 low ONLY. It engages and the jeep moves, then slips when u accelerate more. No issues whatsoever in 2 wheel or 4 hi, manual shifted or in D. Im getting very frustrated as I have no clue what it could be. I checked the pads on the forks and they looked brand new, but I replaced the pads on the mode fork. No play in any gears, nothing chipped or worn down. Any help would be awesome!

Right after the case came off:

Your chain looks loose/stretched, But it's hard to tell by looking at the Photo. You can check it at the drain hole, it should move about 1/8" or so away from the teeth. Any more and I would replace it.

The chain is stretched and is slipping.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

If the chain slips it's going to make a racket as the teeth jump over other teeth. I'm almost wondering if he's just revving the crap out of it in first gear and the "catch" is it just shifting into 2nd.

If the chain is loose, it makes a pop sound when it slips. If you watch the T-Case, the whole thing will jump when it slips. At first it will slip once or twice, as the wear progresses it will slip more/more often.

Replacing the chain is basic routine maintenance, and chains are inexpensive.

Definitely not loose. Remember the shaft is able to move when the cone and back half aren't on. its taught when those are in place. And no, there are no popping or jumping sounds, to me like a clutch or torque converter slipping. If i accelerate quickly it catches fine and I sense nothing wrong. If I accelerate as slow as possible it slips maybe at 1400 RPM? (rough guess) and grabs again at higher RPMs.

Back