• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 to ax15 swap parts question shifter boots

diesel-xj

NAXJA Forum User
hi all, I would have had to resurrect an old thread or start a new one to ask the same question. I am putting a little jap diesel into a '98 xj 2wd that had a 4.0l with an aw4.
So this is an engine swap with a auto to manual conversion as well. I read on one of the sticky's about a flywheel shim. Is this only needed if your flywheel is resurfaced??.
Also I need a inner shift boot, that screws onto the the tunnel cover. I found the one for the top of the transmission, and the outermost one that connects to the shifter bezel. But I need this one that screw onto the tunnel cover. I found one for a 2.5l. it looks a little different than the cratered one that came off the donor. The part # for the 2.5l one is OE PART#55001533. Can anyone confirm if they can interchange? There are lots that of these listed for other jeeps that look close. The one that came off is mostly rubber, but has a metal ring in the bottom to give the flange some rigidity
any help would be appreciated

I swapped from an AW4 to an AX15 this summer and just used this boot. Place it in the correct position and it works great for me. :D

I used the same one when replacing my tore up original boot. Had to drill a new hole in the tranny tunnel, other than that it fit like the original.

Thanks very very much. when I call the part houses, they don't seem to have a clue. I just needed something close that will make a good seal. it does not have to match the original bolt holes. I still have the base of the old seal, I could use to sandwich if I have too

thanks

Back