• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tc drop kit and sye

xj92 moss

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 92 xj and would like to put about 4 inches and 35s on it. It already has the upgraded axle shafts 3 inches of lift and 31s. It will be offroad only so do I still need a tc drop or a sye

4"and 35's, you will be doing some trimming. A drop will be necessary an SYE would be better. Right now with a 4" lift and a 1" drop my rear driveshaft will bind at full droop (like when its up on a hoist) and no vibes. I should drop it another 1/4" but I'm lazy lol.

Thanks man wasnt sure if I needed one or not. This is my first jeep and I bought it just to wheel. Do you think I will need frame stiffiners with 4 inches and 35s

Stiffeners have more to do with the type of wheeling than lift and tire size. If you plan any serious wheeling, you need stiffeners. Also with 35's you need to reenforce the unibody around the steering box.

A drop will be necessary an SYE would be better. Right now with a 4" lift and a 1" drop my rear driveshaft will bind at full droop (like when its up on a hoist) and no vibes. I should drop it another 1/4" but I'm lazy lol.
a TC drop isnt nessecarily "needed" until you start your troubleshooting...
replace the OEM slip yoke with one from a later-year YJ. they have a deeper "U" shaped clearance in the yoke and are 5/8" longer, older YJs have more of a "Squared" shape. check your local jeep shop or club if you know of any. YJ guys usually throw them away and will give them free because it's just sitting in a parts box.
RE sells the same unit calling it an "extended" slip yoke.
i ran 2 different XJs, a 90 and an 87, with am RE 4.5" set-up, YJ yoke, and no rear shim, zero vibes ever, including the 5000 mile road trip to Moab at 70mph.
conversely i had a 99 with RE AAL budget boost and it gave ridiculous vibes and a 1" TC drop wasnt enough to quiet it down.
the key to this is whether your TC output has an enclosed slip yoke with a tailcone, or if it's the later style exposed shaft.
do the lift and see how your rig responds to the new changes. a drop kit is cheap and i'd have one on hand when you do the lift, but dont install it until you get the lift done and drive it a bit.
SYE is definitely the ultimate fix, but isnt always "required".

I have gears in it already 4.88. I also just built a front bumper and took the mounting plate past the power steering. I plan on doing some pretty hard wheeling so I will build some frame stiffiners thanks

Back