• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE vs SYE quality question

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Is there much of a difference between different SYE's? For example, I am considering a rugged ridge SYE kit because the price is right. Is there any reason to go with Advanced Adapters or any other more "name brand" SYE instead of the Rugged Ridge?

Im slowly learning the "you get what you pay for" deal, so if there is actually a good reason to spend more here, I just might.

I did a couple of these back to back a few years ago and found the AA packaging the same once the box was opened to the RR kit. Same parts in both which leads me to believe that they got their parts from the same maker. I've done many RR kits including my own with zero complaints over the last several years.

Installing both into different vehicles for customers I like AA's. Not knocking the quality of Rugged Ridge the only complaint I have and have noticed other have is the leaky output seal on the SYE and yes the yoke was lubed/torqued and assembled properly.

There IS a difference in quality, so go with the AdvanceAdapters SYE!

I'm running the AA SYE in my 94' XJ for 3 Years now. No leaks, no vibrations, no issues at all from first day on.

For my 99' XJ I got a good price on the Rugged Ridge SYE, so i bought this one, supposing there won't be any difference. From first looks the parts where the same but after the install the disappointment followed right away. Rear Seal leaking from 1 driven mile on and driveline vibrations appear at about 60 to 70 mph and get worse the faster you go. Driveshaft is brand new and balanced, driveshaft angle is perfect.
I still have to figure out what causes the vibration, but as it appeared after installing the SYE i'm pretty sure it's the same problem this guy at cherokeeforum had:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/sye-yoke-hitting-itself-180553/index3/

On the last page he describes that the yoke that RR provides is machined out of center, what (of course) causes the driveshaft to vibrate. By swapping the RR yoke with a factory front yoke from a NP242 the vibrations where gone...so...

...stay away from the RR SYE!

Even if you are lucky and the yoke is not outcentered, there is still the crappy rear seal that, what i read from a lot of people, leaks in most cases...

After having installed a few, they are all the same (for true SYEs not H&T)
same poorly photocopied instructions, same blue speedo drive gear

Last edited:
There IS a difference in quality, so go with the AdvanceAdapters SYE!

I'm running the AA SYE in my 94' XJ for 3 Years now. No leaks, no vibrations, no issues at all from first day on.

For my 99' XJ I got a good price on the Rugged Ridge SYE, so i bought this one, supposing there won't be any difference. From first looks the parts where the same but after the install the disappointment followed right away. Rear Seal leaking from 1 driven mile on and driveline vibrations appear at about 60 to 70 mph and get worse the faster you go. Driveshaft is brand new and balanced, driveshaft angle is perfect.
I still have to figure out what causes the vibration, but as it appeared after installing the SYE i'm pretty sure it's the same problem this guy at cherokeeforum had:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/sye-yoke-hitting-itself-180553/index3/

On the last page he describes that the yoke that RR provides is machined out of center, what (of course) causes the driveshaft to vibrate. By swapping the RR yoke with a factory front yoke from a NP242 the vibrations where gone...so...

...stay away from the RR SYE!

Even if you are lucky and the yoke is not outcentered, there is still the crappy rear seal that, what i read from a lot of people, leaks in most cases...

Must mean the RR kits in mine, the boss's and 100 others from my shop are junk too huh? Haven't had one of these leak.

After having installed a few, they are all the same (for true SYEs not H&T)
same poorly photocopied instructions, same blue speedo drive gear

Installed a few RR kits or a bunch of random ones?

Jbsjunk, i don't know if you read my post completely, but if you did, you should have noticed that i didn't only quote random stuff from the internet, but that i made that experience myself and in real reality as real as it can be. And as the only thing that helps people is telling from your personal experience...i'm telling from my personal experience with RR SYEs...and that happens to be a bad one.

So tell me...if there is NO difference between the SYE kits...how come that the AA kit works fine from the start off and the RR kit is leaking and vibrating from first day on.
Both installed by the same skilled mechanic with a new driveshaft from the same manufacturer? Tell me that this is not suspicious at all.

The quote from cherokeeforum was just to show what problems might occur with the RR SYE. I know that most of them run perfectly fine....but i never heard of ONE AA SYE that had this kind of problems. So...would YOU recommend somebody to spend his money on a product that works fine in most cases or would you suggest buying the product that always works fine?

No company is perfect, no matter what they think. I know that there was no problems with the many I did over the years. I've read the same things, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Two people making noise about it vs thousands that have no problems. AA couldn't find a seal that could seal for a while and caused many headaches.

no. just that it's slightly more expensive than the one I posted in the seriousoffroad link..
before shipping at least. just get one kevin!

wow I dont know how I missed that second link in your post lol

Hoping somebody can help me out too. I can't afford a new SYE and a matching driveshaft BUT I want to go a couple inches higher. I can afford a hack n tap SYE and a junkyard front driveshaft.

Dirtbound Offroad offers hack n tap unit for $99.00 and 39.00 for the seal kit. Strength isn't an issue for me because down here we only sling mud.

Is it REALLY as simple as throwing an front drive shaft on the rear?

Hoping somebody can help me out too. I can't afford a new SYE and a matching driveshaft BUT I want to go a couple inches higher. I can afford a hack n tap SYE and a junkyard front driveshaft.

Dirtbound Offroad offers hack n tap unit for $99.00 and 39.00 for the seal kit. Strength isn't an issue for me because down here we only sling mud.

Is it REALLY as simple as throwing an front drive shaft on the rear?

so it costs $140? why not just buy a real SYE for practically the same price.. http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.c...fer-Case-Slip-Yoke-Eliminator-Kit-87-06-XJ-TJ

you can still use the front driveshaft in the rear. its really as simple as just bolting it on

I've had an AA SYE on my trail Jeep for 6 years. No problems. No leaks.

I've had a RR SYE on my DD for about a year now. No Problems. No leaks.

Back