• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sagging Leaf Springs. Coilovers?

JeepinJosh13

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 99 XJ and my leaf springs have sagged so much they are completely upside down and almost make my 235/75's rub. Has anybody tried using coil over shocks to level the suspension. I am looking at the Monroe Load Adjusting shocks, designed to keep vehicles with loads up to 1200lbs at stock ride height.

Just replace the leafs first or you will be masking another problem and possibly prematurely wear out other parts. Otherwise those shocks should be nice for a long time

Don't have the money for the springs and labor to install them, coilovers are only 80 bucks and i can replace those. Just wondering if anybody has actually tried this. What other parts could it wear out? Everything in the rear end is oretty much already worn out haha

I went with air shocks on Buster, it was a world of difference.

Be prepared to fight with the upper shock bolts. They often (read ALWAYS) break. There should be many threads on shock removal.

Don't have the money for the springs and labor to install them, coilovers are only 80 bucks and i can replace those. Just wondering if anybody has actually tried this. What other parts could it wear out? Everything in the rear end is oretty much already worn out haha
the shock mounts are not ment or designed to hold the wieght of the vechicle, replace the springs or search for bastard pack

Absolutely. You can grab a used set of leaf's for cheap. Not a hard job. I would almost rather replace the springs than drill out upper shock bolts. Talk about PITA!!

Is it possible to re-temper the leaf springs? Hit em with a torch, then cold water to re-harden the steel? I know this is a pretty backwards way to go at it, but i'm on a tight budget

For 80$ you can get a good used set of springs. I don't get why you wouldn't want to go this route? As far as heating them to re-arch, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I have the same vehicle and almost the same issue (my springs aren't quite as bad but getting there) as the OP, where can you get used springs that aren't in the same shape? I keep going back and forth between getting OEM replacements and just going all out and getting a mild OME suspension. But lately I've had a run of stuff breaking so I'm still working on all that stuff...

Stock XJ leaf springs are inherently flat-ish. It really doesn't take much for them to flatten out and even invert a bit. Any kind of lift block, extended shackle or extra load will accelerate the process.

ROBZ95Xj has it right. Shocks are not meant to "bear the weight" of the Jeep...that is the springs job. At some point you're going to have to either replace the spring pack, bastard pack or slide an add-a-leaf into the pack.

Sorry for not being more specific. AAL will work wonders. In Md we have u-pull it yards. 25$ for a spring pack. I lived in MI for a while. Scion tship just outside A Arbor. Had a similar yard there.

If I have to pull used springs doesn't seem worth the work, then I'm fighting with two sets of rusty bolts not just one with only hand tools and a plumbing torch... that's the other reason I haven't changed my springs yet, need to book some lift time as I'm getting sick of the redneck rowing machine (1/2" drive ratchet and cheater pipe)

Ask the upper shock mounts to be load bearing, I bet you soon have bigger problems than saggy leaves. If you don't have the coin to do it right and right now, save up some cash and do it later. Spending $80 today could mean another $1000 later.

I'm just wondering how long Dorman springs work because the stock ones sag so badly so fast. If someone could tell me they're quality that'd probably give me the kick in the keister I need to get it done.

To the OP; just realize that both of those say "spring" (single) you will need two

As an alternative, you might want to snoop around some big-rig truck repair shops and
see if they can steer you to a reputable leaf spring rebuilder, and get some ideas and
prices.

Tell 'em want you are using your truck for (towing, carrying heavy loads, etc.) and they
might be able to tune the leaf spring pack (add a leaf, etc.) for your needs.

Pretty much all of the replacement leafs come from Crown. For $200 I went and got new leafs, all new bushings, and new stock shackles. I went with the HD packs (+1") and added in my old stock main leaf cut to fit, netted me around 2.5" of lift overall. They held up great in my old DD 2dr, I frequently had stuff in the cargo area and wheeled in hard for a few years. Leafs held up great and only after like 3yrs of abuse did I have to add a small 0.5" shackle to level it back out.

Back