• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj with lca drop brackets looking to remove and upgrade lca/USA

Motoxic2

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 99 chero with 4.5" rough country lift with the control arm drop brackets I'd like to replace the lcas and Ucas that way I can do away with the stupid drop brackets but I'm looking at arm options and was looking at the adjustable uppers and fixed (bent) lowers from IRO for $269 wanted to see what you guys thought before I went and ordered a set, thank you for advice and input in advanced guys

Adjustable short arms will be a nice addition to drop brackets, but are not a replacement for them. Go long arms or mid arms, or keep the db's. The ride and flex will suffer with short arms and no db's.

Bent LCA's don't do anything except reduce clearance unless they are bent up. Manufacturers sell bent LCA's to give you the perception that the steep LCA angles are better than straight arms, but the point to point angle is still the same and will still ride harshly. Drop brackets or longer arms are the only solution.

It sounds like you guys are suggesting Ikeep the db's so now do you think its worth upgrading to the tubular adjustable arms or should I just keep my stock ones for now? I do plan on adding an inch spacer to the front and 1.5 shackles to the back in the future cause id like to run 33s

At 4.5" you should easily be able to run 33's. I'm on 4.5" with 35s, and drop brackets coincidentally.

Keep your stock arms and drop brackets for now. If the Jeep drives straight and doesn't clunk, and you have enough space to run the tires that are on it, I'd leave it alone.
If you decide for whatever reason that you really must use adjustable arms, save your $$ and get the beefiest adjustable arms you can with rubber or poly bushings. Personally I'm not a believer in hard joints for suspension.
On drop brackets -
Ride quality and general suspension happiness depends, to a large part, on control arm angles. From the factory, the control arms pointed from 9 o'clock (frame side mount) to the center of the clock. Parallel to the ground. As you lift the Jeep, that 9 oclock mount becomes more like 11, and the control arm points steeper and steeper as you lift more and more. That angle directs more and more harshness into the body of the jeep.
Drop brackets lower that mount back down to 9, or closer anyway, and mellow out the jeep's road manners.
Adjustable arms are direct replacements for stock control arms, about 16" long if I recall.
Long arms are 30" or more and are also adjustable but require a whole new mounting system, and require you to get rid of drop brackets if you have them.
Hope this helps.

Thanks guys it helped alot im just going to run my setup I have for now as this is just my weekend toy amd im not looking to dump 1500 into a long arm setup lol im thinking of just doing some fender cutting and maybe a front lock-right or somthing along that line

Back