• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mechanical fan removal

ghettocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a three fan setup and started tearing into the stock fans. I have absolutely no idea how to get the mechanical fan off. I have pulled the four nuts off of the engine side. Should the fan slide off? I tried jamming a screwdriver in a small crease of the fan and worked it out a little bit. Is that the proper way to get it off? Is there a better way?

Yes, the fan should pull off when you remove the nuts from the pulley. May need force, most likely never been removed before. Just be cautious of the rad.

Do I need to do anything so I have clearance for the fans? Or are the studs short enough?

You need to remove the studs, I used the double-nut method. Then install bolts in palce of the studs. Even with bolts, the clearance is close. Make sure you have good motor mounts.

So my nice stock mounts won't be sufficient? What is the double nut method?

Well, if they are good, then they should be fine. Eventually, I recommend something like Brown Dog mounts, will probably outlast mot everything on the heep.
You put 2 nuts on the stud tight against each other and loosen the lower/further one to pull out the stud.

I've never had to remove the studs... Should be able to get it off without doing that. There is a small length of the shaft that comes through, and the fan clutch is lightly pressed onto it, so removing it so it stays "square" will help. Try prying in different spots until is breaks free. If you are removing the mechanical fan, I don't see what the worry is with the motor mounts. usually the concern is bad mounts causing the fan clutch to hit the radiator. Maybe there's some other clearance issue with the electric fans that I'm not aware of...

90%of the time if your mounts are bad, you'll be able to tell. There will be chunks of rubber missing, usually above the thru bolt.

As far as removing the fan, the holes thru the mounting flange are pretty tight to the size of the studs, add a little bit of rust and 15 years, and you get the situation you are in now. Spray that sucker with pb blaster, pry it off square, and you should be good to go, I will stress again.... Watch the radiator! It loves to jump free violently. At least in my experience.

I replaced the studs with button head bolts I got from another member here. 5/16" x 24 x 3/4 I believe. I didn't have to do anything else like clearance that stub, but that depends on the depth of your new fan setup.

Not all heeps will be equal/exact, but I can take a pic of mine if you want.
I used standard hex bolts with lock washers, no other mods.
If you haven't, relocate the new tabs/upper rad mounts about .5 inch forward (towards the front bumper)That will help with clearance. May be in DBO's instructions too.

I actually pulled the radiator 3/4 in forward. I have about an inch of clearance at the closest point. I figure that should be good. I have no idea how to wire in the sensor. I have the prewired kit.

Would I have a problem if I wired one to stay on always and then have a switch for the other two?
I currently have mine setup so that the middle one comes on first, then the side ones come on after. I am using the fan controller from dirtbound, so (1) comes on @ 185 and the other (2) come on @210.
You can wire them however you want. When I get around to it, I am going to add circuit breakers and a master switch. Master will be a 3 pos. switch to cut power, run normal, and all on.

Back