• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a 98-up manual XJ vin

kelso1

NAXJA Forum User
I am converting my auto XJ to manual and the dealership cannot find any trim for the console. They say manuals were never available. If I can get a VIN, they will call it in to Chrysler and find my manual shift boot and trim cover plate. Please Help!!

Either get it from the junkyard or check the classifieds section, no need to get raped at the dealer

Part numbers for the upper and lower boots, and the floor plate. I think.

Boot
52104 079AB

Boot
5210 4217

Floor plate
5210 4216

Floor plate is no change from the older models, but the plastic trim is impossible to find in a junkyard. I really could use a VIN.

I believe the floor plate actually does change (the metal one, I believe the rubber floorpan sealing boot is the same), but unsure.

Wish I'd written the VIN down off the one I stripped of all its 5 speed parts at the JY a few months ago... dammit!

Hubs97XJ posted the part numbers for the plate and both rubber boots--those are the same part numbers 97-99.

What "plastic" piece are you looking for?

I have a '98 2-door 4.0 5-speed if it helps - it was also originally a Canadian -

IMG_20130330_122721_775b.jpg

Gotta love mopar owner connect's equipment listing -

Model:
1998 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT UTILITY 2-DR

VIN:
1J4FJ67S1WL182066

Drive:
4WD

Standard Equip

• Monotone Paint
  • 117 Amp Alternator
  • 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
  • Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
  • Reclining Front Seats
  • Rear Fold w/Removable Cushion Seat
  • Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
  • Next Generation Front Air Bags**
  • Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
  • Cargo Compartment Carpet
  • Cargo Tie Down Loops
  • Plastic Liftgate Trim Panel
  • Passenger Assist Handles
  • Lift Gate Assist Handle
  • Full Length Floor Console
  • Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
  • Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
  • Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
  • Tinted Windshield Glass
  • Front Door Tinted Glass
  • Rear Window Defroster
  • Rear View Day/Night Mirror
  • Deluxe Insulation Group
  • 200 KPH Primary Speedometer
  • Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
  • Rear Window Wiper/Washer
  • Cigar Lighter
  • Dual Note Electric Horns
  • 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
  • RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - CH
  • RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - JE
  • RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - BADGE - 4
  • RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - JEEP
  • BLACK - FENDER FLARES
  • Headlamps On Warning Chimes
  • Glove Box Lamp
  • Front Dome Lamp
  • Halogen Headlamps
  • Daytime Running Headlamps, High Beam
  • CHMSL Lamp
  • Front Bumper Guards
  • Front License Plate Bracket
  • Black Windshield Moldings
  • Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
  • Belt Moldings
  • Body Color Drip Trough Molding
  • Black Door Handles
  • EVAP Control System
  • 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
  • Engine Block Heater
  • Gunmetal Pearl Coat
  • Power Steering
  • Normal Duty Suspension
  • Front Stabilizer Bar
  • Rear Stabilizer Bar
  • Inside Mounted Spare Tire
  • Upgraded OBD-II Connectors
  • Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
  • Build To Canada Mkt. Specifications
  • GVW Rating - 4850#
  • Canada Dealer Retail
  • Zone 21-Canada-Ontario
  • Ontario Province Code
Optional Equip

• Prem Cloth Hi-Back Bucket Seats
  • Indigo/Linen
  • Sport Decor Group
  • 4.0L Engine(ERH)/5Sp Man Trans(DDQ)
  • High Back Bucket Seats
  • Highline Door Trim Panel
  • Front & Rear Floor Mats
  • Spare Tire Cover
  • All Manual Transmissions
  • 5-Speed Manual Transmission
  • 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
  • All Engines
  • 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
  • Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
  • Deep Tint Sunscreen Liftgate Glass
  • Tinted Quarter Vented Glass
  • Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
  • All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
  • Air Conditioning
  • Instrument Cluster w/Tach
  • Instrument Panel Black Bezel
  • Stripe / Decal / Molding
  • RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - 4.0L
  • BLACK - MOLDING - BODYSIDE
  • Shift Indicator Warning Lamp
  • Cargo Compartment Lamp
  • Black Front Bumper
  • Black Rear Bumper
  • Black Grille
  • Roof Rack
  • Federal Emissions
  • Gunmetal Pearl Coat
  • All Radio Equipped Vehicles
  • AM/FM Cassette Radio
  • 4 Speakers
  • Fixed Long Mast Antenna
  • Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
  • Tilt Steering Column
  • Full Size Spare Tire
  • P225/75R15 Wrangler RT/S AT Tires
  • Goodyear Brand Tires
  • 15X7.0 Aluminum "Ecco" Wheels
  • Matching Spare Wheel
  • All Aluminum Wheels
  • Without Billable Fuel
  • Spring - Left Front
  • Spring - Left Rear
  • Spring - Right Front
  • Spring - Right Rear
  • Customer Preferred Package 2TE
  • Customer Preferred Package 25E
  • Package Discount
  • Deep Tint Discount
  • Customer Preferred Discount
  • Federal A/C Excise Tax

On a side note, are 5spds really that rare? It seems that roughly half of them around here are manual.

They're pretty rare compared to how many auto xj's were sold.

I'm on my second 5spd one and I settled for a 2wd since I couldn't find a 4wd one anywhere near local. 2wd 5spds seem to be a bit more common, probably due to them being loss leaders for the dealerships

On the 97 and up consoles the left side of the automatic shift cover (PRNDL) or manual cover follow contour with the console. The manuals have a rubber boot above this trim. The pre 97 consoles are a flush mount trim piece and the boot for the manuals is sandwiched between the upper and lower boot retainers. I will call the dealer and give them the VIN you have listed. Now if I could just swap my 92 sport steering column into the 98 life would be good!

Talk to sidewaysstarion, I am reasonably certain he can reprogram your existing ECU to be a manual one.

Good and bad news! I did find the boots needed, but the console trim is not available. I guess I will have to modify the auto trim bezel. Anyone know where I could get a 98 man transmission computer or at least turn off the CEL? BTW! here is some pics of the swap as of yesterday. http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/kelsomoses/slideshow/

I did the auto to manual swap on my 96 OBDII XJ. The only issue I had with the check engine light was for the park/neutral switch input into the PCM. All I did was use the clutch master and slave assy from a 97+ XJ and used the clutch interlock switch for the P/N PCM input. Ran 2 wires from the interlock switch to the P/N wiring under the hood. Never had the light come on for that code again. Try it first before spending the extra money, time, and effort getting your current PCM fixed or replaced.

96s are easy to fool, 97s are slightly more complex, and 98-01s are by no means simple. They actually have input and output speed sensors on the tranny and the TCU WILL eventually throw a code if it doesn't see that the transmission has shifted into the gear it requested. It actually monitors the pulse rates of the two speed sensor signals and determines if the transmission's gear ratio is correct.

That is what I have read too. Is there an e-mail address or phone number that I can contact him to find out more about the reprogram? Wouldn't there be a open plug on the PCM?

96s are easy to fool, 97s are slightly more complex, and 98-01s are by no means simple. They actually have input and output speed sensors on the tranny and the TCU WILL eventually throw a code if it doesn't see that the transmission has shifted into the gear it requested. It actually monitors the pulse rates of the two speed sensor signals and determines if the transmission's gear ratio is correct.

Remove the TCU, disconnect the battery, reconnect battery, and retry. It is the TCU that can't seem to operate without talking to the PCM, not the other way. Nothing in life is a sure thing, well other than death and taxes.

Remove the TCU, disconnect the battery, reconnect battery, and retry. It is the TCU that can't seem to operate without talking to the PCM, not the other way. Nothing in life is a sure thing, well other than death and taxes.
You will get PC16xx CCD bus communication errors if you pull the TCU. Those will set the CEL too.

The TCU operates just fine without the ECU, actually - it just gets cranky if it doesn't see the right sensor signals on 96/97/98-01.

97 checks everything 96 checked (not much) plus the new pin for the last forward gearshift position on the NSS and also verifies that the shift solenoids are present.

98 and later add to that ratio checking so if the transmission is in a different gear than the TCU requested, a CEL will be set.

I'm not sure when the P16xx code indicating failure to communicate with TCU showed up, it was either 96 or 97, probably 97.

If you got a 97+ auto ECU to run CEL-free with the TCU unplugged I want to know how, because everything I've seen and everything I've tested says it's impossible to avoid that CCD bus error code without 1. reconnecting the TCU (and bringing back the P0700 series errors from the NSS, ISS, OSS, solenoid faults, etc) or 2. reflashing the ECU to a manual tune.

You will get PC16xx CCD bus communication errors if you pull the TCU. Those will set the CEL too.

The TCU operates just fine without the ECU, actually - it just gets cranky if it doesn't see the right sensor signals on 96/97/98-01.

97 checks everything 96 checked (not much) plus the new pin for the last forward gearshift position on the NSS and also verifies that the shift solenoids are present.

98 and later add to that ratio checking so if the transmission is in a different gear than the TCU requested, a CEL will be set.

I'm not sure when the P16xx code indicating failure to communicate with TCU showed up, it was either 96 or 97, probably 97.

If you got a 97+ auto ECU to run CEL-free with the TCU unplugged I want to know how, because everything I've seen and everything I've tested says it's impossible to avoid that CCD bus error code without 1. reconnecting the TCU (and bringing back the P0700 series errors from the NSS, ISS, OSS, solenoid faults, etc) or 2. reflashing the ECU to a manual tune.

I never said I did it, I'm just saying try it. If it doesn't work then he is no worse off than he was before. But if it does work then maybe he has some extra beer money.

Back