• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any way to tell what springs my XJ came with?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've been obsessively-compulsively searching... am trying to decide whether or not to go with stock replacement rear leaves or just bite the bullet and do a full on mild lift, probably OME.

All I know is that when I sent my VIN to Chrysler my vehicle came with option SDB "Heavy Duty Suspension" but whenever I look for documentation of springs it references other codes that I don't have. I'm seriously doubting that I will be able to see any codes stamped on my springs.

Would a government contract '99 el strippo model with HD suspension likely have had the LL, LM, LS or LT rear springs? Or should I just order the heaviest ones and be done with it?

I'm kinda hesitant to boost it because I have a feeling that would be a slippery slope of SYEs, new driveshafts, etc. etc. etc... but my rear springs are arched... the wrong way... and I need to fix that

I'm kinda hesitant to boost it because I have a feeling that would be a slippery slope of SYEs, new driveshafts, etc. etc.

Anyone here can tell you that yes, you are correct about this. And the slope isn't just a little slippery, its quite treacherous :laugh:

But, to your question. Why does it matter what it came with from the factory? You are using it now, decide what parts you need and go from there. Do you carry lots of weight around? Tow sometimes/always/never? What is your budget? etc, etc. Just figure out what you want/need/can afford and buy appropriately.

A 1"-2" lift from HD factory replacements shouldn't require much in the way of supporting hardware so you should be safe there if your only concern with a lift is needing extra stuff.

OTOH, if you want to lift it, as long as you do some planning you shouldn't run into any surprise costs. Plenty of people have documented which components are needed at which lift heights so you can plan accordingly.

Since you are not looking for Off-Road capability, just getting back what you had, a decent set of 2" Springs front and back should do the trick, give you 1" lift over the "Up Country" Package and require no other modifications.

OME 2: Rears are about $130 each and a pair of OME front springs are 170.

Or if you want to go real low buck, remove your springs and take them down to your local spring shop to get re-arched.

When you contact the dealership; you can provide your VIN and they should be able to download a build sheet for your XJ listing codes for parts that were installed at the factory.
Check out the Crown Auto website for factory replacement parts.
They list 4 different HD 4 leaf springs and 2 HD coil springs for the XJ.

Back