• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic after getting new tires

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My old set of BFG-AT's were about wore out at 94,000 miles so I decided to replace them with the same exact tires. (30x9.5)

On the way home from the tire store the car developed a harmonic at 65MPH. It was instantly annoying. There was no harmonic before the new tires.

The tire store was great (Discount tires) they replaced all 4 tires with new ones. Still have the harmonic, what should I do now???

Thanks in advance-

Jeffy-97XJ

Rotate the front to the back see if it changes. It could be one out of round this will help narrow the posibilities. Chances are they just zipped your lugs on with an impact and the wheel isn't sitting perfectly on the hub, so loosen all lugs and tighten in star pattern with a torque wrench. They sometime will also over torque wheels or improperly torque them. It happens a lot more then you think with discount tire. Keep on them because if its an out of round tire it will be like that forever and bfg will only warranty that tire for out of round within the first like 10-25% of tread wear. Do not let them get away with the BS excuse they will become round or it will go away with some miles on them.

We've been using Discount Tire for years now. No BS, no problems, no over torque, completely free tire when one was destroyed after a puncture (way better response than I expected considering the situation). Doesn't mean that you couldn't have a negative experience with an individual shop but I wouldn't go in with that attitude.

Back