• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater knob bulb? Rattling 4WD handle? Window switch how-to? Value tire?

bimmerjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
1) My 3 heater knobs do not light up. Is there an easy fix for this? Or is it a nightmare that involves removing the entire dashboard, etc? Know of a write up? My search found little.

2) When I am stopped at a light, I notice my 2H/4H/N/4L handle creates a buzzing/rattling. I finally figured out it was this handle when I grabbed it and the buzzing stopped. I plan to remove my console soon. Is there something I can tighten while I'm in there?

3) My driver's side window does not roll down. I think it's electrical, and not the regulator. It's 100% dead. I heard it can be broken wires in the "door hinge boot" But, I have no idea how to open this up. I am going to try removing the door panel tomorrow. I will re-seat the connectors on the window switch. How, how do I fix a potentially broken wire hidden in the door boot. Is there a write-up somewhere?

4) Need 4 tires. I am not "hard core". I don't off-road. Winter commuter/spare car. I just want something good enough. The worst tire made will still be a huge step up from the dry rotted tires the XJ came with. I am going to get 235-75-15's.
Goodyear Wrangler $82. Or is there something different you'd suggest?
The other option is the local warehouse. If you had to buy one from here, which would you get? (Choose 235/75/15)

Thanks!

Oh, I thought it was part of my profile.

1998 Cherokee Sport XJ 4.0L Auto
No clue about axle/diff types.
(Tell me how to tell, and I'll identify for future ref)

Next, you can go here - NAXJA TECH Question FAQ's- or just use the SEARCH function.

Uh, yea, I already looked. There's nothing.
"Heater bulb" came back with zero results.
"driver's window" came back with zero results.
"Rattling 4WD handle" came back with zero results.

Cruiser, thanks for your help.
Are those bushings easy to replace if you have the console off?
Or do you get at them from the undercarriage?

Last edited:
Uh, yea, I already looked. There's nothing.
"Heater bulb" came back with zero results.
"driver's window" came back with zero results.
"Rattling 4WD handle" came back with zero results.

Cruiser, thanks for your help.
Are those bushings easy to replace if you have the console off?
Or do you get at them from the undercarriage?

Underneath. Easy. There was a TSB on it at one time.

IDK what a heater bulb is, but all the bulbs are replaceable. A 4x4 shifter handle rattle means you need new bushings in the shifter mechanism. There is a TBS and a repair kit for that.

Power window switch problems, stereo speaker, and drivers door wiring issues are common, the cures are simple and often posted.

Thanks. The problem with these write-ups is that people forget to say what year XJ they are talking about. I read that 1998 XJ heater plate does not have removable bulbs. You need to either replace the entire $100 control plate or resolder the microbulbs into the waferboard. In other words, they are not screw on bulbs. Can anyone verify this?

Power window switch problems, stereo speaker, and drivers door wiring issues are common, the cures are simple and often posted.

Thanks Tim. I have not been able to find a decent window switch write-up anywhere. Everyone just says it's already posted somewhere. I have not found a single write-up where someone can actually explain HOW to fix a broken wire inside that door hinge "boot". I would just buy a new switch for $70, but if it's a broken wire inside the door hinge, this won't solve the problem. I found a video on how to clean the window switch copper connections. I can try that, but if it's a broken wire, I have no idea how to even begin trying to fix that. Do you just slice open the boot with a utility knife and then duct tape it back shut?

IDK what a heater bulb is, but all the bulbs are replaceable. .

A "heater bulb" is the bulbs the illuminate the 3 heater knobs. Maybe your XJ does not have heater control knobs? I have a 98 XJ. This control assembly has bulbs soldered onto the wafterboard. Either you solder new ones on, or buy a new climate control faceplate/unit for about $100.

Rattling 4WD handle linkage was secured with 2 zipties.
This is directly under the driver's seat.

1) One long ziptie lengthwise (black). Can't get 2 hands up in there, so I used a long needlenose to help make that black ziptie as tight as possible.
2) Then a 2nd one (blue) that loops around the rattling shaft to secure it to the first ziptie.

This seems to have done the trick.
No more rattle at idle!

wssead.jpg

IDK what a heater bulb is, but all the bulbs are replaceable. A 4x4 shifter handle rattle means you need new bushings in the shifter mechanism. There is a TBS and a repair kit for that.

Rattling 4WD handle linkage was secured with 2 zipties.
This is directly under the driver's seat.

1) One long ziptie lengthwise (black). Can't get 2 hands up in there, so I used a long needlenose to help make that black ziptie as tight as possible.
2) Then a 2nd one (blue) that loops around the rattling shaft to secure it to the first ziptie.

This seems to have done the trick.
No more rattle at idle!

wssead.jpg

seems perfectly sound to me.... the bushings are available, but you used zip-ties, instead?

Yea, was a 5 min. repair instead of a 5 hour nightmare.
I've read horror stories about replacing that bushing.
F that, I have enough to deal with on this XJ

Back