• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 spare tire

Grclermont

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought 95 xj up country suspension, 98000 miles really good shape 4.0 automatic. Paid 3500. Is it a fair price? Runs great. Did not come with a spare or tools. Can I put a full size spare in rear cargo wall? Thanks

That's a pretty good price for my area (NJ) especially if you don't have to deal with the rust down there. A fullsize will fit no problem, even up to a 30-31" may just cause that side of the rear seat not to latch completely. Upwards of a 32" have been done. I personally would not run synthetic, these engines are notorious for leaks, especially rear main seal. My 97 has 98K and I never even considered going to synthetic.

one example of modding the bracket to accommodate a larger spare: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpareWheel32inch.htm

And welcome to the forum!

You can put a standard full size spare in a 95. The stock size was 225/15 and mine came with a full size spare. You should be able to go up to 235 with no issues.

If your Jeep is equipped with the standard wheel nuts, they are actually 18 millimeter steel nuts with a stainless jacket. When they rust or the jacket is damaged, the original 19 mm or 3/4 inch socket will not fit. If you can afford it, you'd do well to get a whole set of new nuts, but if not, make sure you have an 18 mm. wrench and maybe a small chisel on hand so that you can get off the nuts when they're damaged.

Back