• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing control arms at 2-2.5" lift

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm tracking down the beginnings of some DW and I was wondering if i should replace my control arms with stock units or aftermarket? (140k on the originals, might as well replace them) Caster angle is still good, but if i'll gain something with aftermarket i'd be willing to pay more for them...

Opinions?

After market, I have uppers and lowers that are adjustable from stock to 8" of lift from www.ironman4x4fab.com. I just installed them yesterday and i'm really impressed with the quality and pure beefyness of them.

I'm in the same process. What I have found so far is that aftermarket arms are beefier and have better flex options.

Still can't decide which one is the better for my rig. I'm between JKS (that say it can rotate freely) or Currie (with JJ in both sides). Ironman is another option similar to Currie, just beefier.

OP- Adjustable, stronger. Everything they've said.

Although from personal experience I wouldn't run short arms on 8"+ of lift.

Otherwise just pick a reputable company. Unless you're going to beat this thing to hell and back, just about anything you put on will be overkill and better than stock. Good luck! Post some pics!!

So I'm tracking down the beginnings of some DW and I was wondering if i should replace my control arms with stock units or aftermarket? (140k on the originals, might as well replace them) Caster angle is still good, but if i'll gain something with aftermarket i'd be willing to pay more for them...

Opinions?

Honestly at 2 -2.5 inch of lift, the beginnings of DW are unlikely to be addressed by replacing control arms at 140K. Unless of course they are bent from hitting rocks - then replacing with some beefy aftermarket arms makes sense. If you are just trying to track down minor DW then low mileage TJ takeouts can often be found dirt cheap (it's the same suspension).

Honestly at 2 -2.5 inch of lift, the beginnings of DW are unlikely to be addressed by replacing control arms at 140K. Unless of course they are bent from hitting rocks - then replacing with some beefy aftermarket arms makes sense. If you are just trying to track down minor DW then low mileage TJ takeouts can often be found dirt cheap (it's the same suspension).

If the bushings are bad, death wobble can happen. My control arms were just replaced at 124k, they were about shot.

WJ LCA's are a good choice, especially if can be had for cheap. You have to modify the sleeve/bushings to fit, bot are built better than xj LCA's

DW often is a result of bad TRE's and a track arm bushing. Check those too. After 209K I am replacing the track bar and the drag link/tie rod system.

Back