• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ratcheting noises through the console

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I put on a 2 inch lift on top of the 3.5" that I already had. Did it with coil spacers and Dodge Ram rear shackles. While I was doing the lift I shimmed the rear axle (8.8) to eliminate poor drive line angles and it made a world of difference.

While doing it I also installed RE drop brackets for my control arms. I got everything buttoned up last night and took it on it's inaugural journey today...just on surface streets, no highway speeds yet. Only up to about 50 mph.

I noticed I get a ratcheting sound that feels/sound like it is coming up though the transmission tunnel under the center console storage compartment. I ONLY get it when making a right turn. Not on a left turn or while going straight. It happens very rarely under acceleration from a stop. The noise stops when I straighten out the wheel after the turn is completed.

Here is what I know for sure still needs to be addressed. (1) I need an alignment, bad. (2) I have the RE sway bar disconnects. The passenger side bracket sits about 1/4 inch or better from the coils. The driver side bracket is less than 1/8 inch and contacts the coils.

The point #2 above leads me to believe that maybe the axle isn't completely straight.

So...I am going to run with the swaybar disconnected (no contact on the coil) on my next drive to see if that made a difference. I will also be getting an alignment this weekend. I am hoping that one or both of these "fixes' takes care of the ratcheting noise.

Any other thoughts?

Check to see if your driveline is rubbing your e brake cable. Mine did it for a month before I figured that out.

Hmm...could it be that easy. I checked and it was pretty close. I suppose it could be that.

I second the e-brake cable. On my wifes jeep with the sway bar disconnected, when making a left turn hard it will rub the cable right by the yoke on the SYE.

What's the solution to re-routing or bracketing the e-brake cable?

Mine just started doing this out of the blue.

Mine started hitting following a new crossmember and trans mount.

I just got under there and started pulling the slack out and zip tied it where i could to keep it in that position. Its really not something with a one size fits all solution, gotta get under there and play around with it.

Back