• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issues: Pic

Elevate

NAXJA Forum User
I just upgraded my lift:

Coils: RE 4.5"
TB: Iron Rock Dbl shear for 4.5-8" (i think)
CA drops: RC
Adj CA's: RE
Drop Pitman Arm: RE

Here's the problem. I tore the shaft out of my stock steering box trying to pull the pitman arm. Got a JY one out of a durango, it's the sucky 3 turn one:bawl:, but will work. Got it all hooked up, works fine, but I can't get my steering to be centered. I have full lock on the right, but come up a half turn short on the left. I was trying to correct this by threading out the draglink, but I ran out of threads to turn out.
mspies1
mspies1

This was my process to set up the steering: Center the wheel, connect steering shat to the box, Center the box, manually straighten wheels, attach pitman arm to steering box, lengthen and connect drag link to pitman arm.

frontsteering.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a longer tie rod end to go into the draglink?

Any help is appreciated.

-Mike

The 3 turn box can be modified. I do it all the time. It is not a simple procedure, but it is doable.

First of all, it looks like your axle is off center (look at your spring, your axle is shifted about 1" to the passenger side).

Otherwise, it looks like you're close. You need to get your wheels pointed straight, then get the pitman arm so that it sits parallel to the tires. You are going the wrong direction, it looks like you need to shorten your drag link.

Tires and pitman arm are pointing in different directions, this means the pitman arm is on wrong. Always start with wheels straight, then bolt up the pitman arm, then adjust steering wheel. Since the box is wider it will be off to the pass. side at first, adjust it back to center from there. If you run out of adjustment well then it's time for a steering upgrade but you should be OK still I think.

First of all, it looks like your axle is off center (look at your spring, your axle is shifted about 1" to the passenger side).

Otherwise, it looks like you're close. You need to get your wheels pointed straight, then get the pitman arm so that it sits parallel to the tires. You are going the wrong direction, it looks like you need to shorten your drag link.

this..

And is it just the picture, or is that draglink bent? It really looks like you have, way to much droop (from to much lift?) for stock steering, and it has bent the DL. If so you are going to pull a TRE apart and if it happens on the hwy way, when it fully fails and comes apart. You will not be happy, nor anyone around you....

Definitely bent. As well it looks like your Trac bar is threaded out pretty far, although it's hidden behind the Pitman. This looks like a recipe for disaster.

Draglink is not bent, just the pic. Porch nailed it on the head. I was not paying attention when I threaded it out, and I went too far. I fixed it, now all is well. I have 1.5 turns both ways which is fine for now ( I really don't notice the loss of turning radius).

@ old man - yah I know you can mod the box, and when I finally decide to do it I'll send it your way.

What I find interesting is this: I tried to match up the tie rod first with some 6.5" coils. It sat too high for me so I switched in the 4.5's. The next day is when I finally corrected the steering issue. Do you need longer steering at 6.5?

What are the chances I pull out my slip yoke at 5" of lift in the rear? I have no vibes (5spd, 99)

Yes, yes you do... As you raise the steering gear away from the axle, it takes a longer drag link to make the connection. Also, the angle of the link can become an issue. The panhard bar and the drag link needs be running at the same angle to reduce bump steer.

And, at 6.5" of lift, I very much doubt the driveshaft will behave itself. The front shaft may be a tad short as well. Again, it is the fact that you are moving the primary component away from the original "designed to fit" location.

Geometry, who knew you would need it in real life...

Back