• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

State of the NWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
Did you know we just donated $1000 to the Washington Off Highway Vehicle Association? (One of the final acts under the TORX administration.) http://www.wohva.com/

We also have a $500 donation we're going to be giving the PNW4WDA. www.pnw4wda.org

Your BOD is also working on getting the proper permits for holding a "real" raffle at NWFest this year. We also started a monthly photo contest for members, created an emergency contact list, we're actively working on a new swag program, and we are also forced to moderate our boards multiple times a day. I will also be hosting a build party for a member at my home, offering use of my personal space, tools, and time. Those are some examples of what your BOD is doing for this club.

Eric, Dick and myself all hold full-time jobs outside of NAXJA. Eric just bought a house and moved, Dick is planning a wedding, and I have a family. We volunteered to serve a club that we love, and we are trying to do our best. No one else offered to do the same. The fact that we give some of our free time to help run this club should be appreciated. If you have an issue with your local BOD, or a decision we make, feel free to PM one of us, or take your complaint to national.

NAXJA is a club, not an internet forum. This forum is just one of the things NAXJA has to offer it's members, and users. Our section of NAXJA's forum, the NWC, is a place where we can communicate on a local level, organize runs, buy and sell items, ask for local help, ect. It is a family friendly board, that anyone can access. It's not "the den" and it's not a place where you can post "R-Rated" comments or pictures. You cannot write on our boards the same things you would say during a drunken campfire conversation. Most of us here are adults, everyone should understand that there are times where they need to keep it "PG-13".

We should have a reputation in the Pacific Northwest as a club that volunteers dollars and time to land use. We should have a reputation as a family friendly organization that's eager to welcome new members. We should have a reputation as a group that has respect for the places we go, whether that is an OHV park or a restaurant. We should have a reputation as a club that is very thankful for its sponsors, supporters, and individuals that donate their time to the club. Those things should be true, but if you asked an outsider familiar with NAXJA's NWC do you think they would agree?

Going forward we will not tolerate inappropriate behavior on our boards, no insults, offensive images, inappropriate language, religious or political comments, sponsor bashing, bashing of other clubs, trolling, or unwarranted public complaints of the BOD. I was under the belief that when it came to moderation, less is more. Well, that didn't work. So expect a lot heavier moderation of our chapter boards. This chapter is not going to be overrun with internet tough guys, offensive people or posts, elitist attitudes, sarcasm, or fighting and bickering.

Did you know that there used to be a "North end" of our chapter? Most of them have jumped ship. Ask yourself why. Do you know how often I've heard people tell me they're done with NAXJA because of what we've become? It's pretty hard to attract new members when we're scaring the current (and sometimes long-standing) members away.

This is a great club with a lot of really cool things going on. There are so many nice and interesting people here. I've meet a lot of people here I would now consider a close friend. I've got help, free parts, seen people donate their time and money to others, and I've seen a lot people do a lot for fellow club members. I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences with NAXJA. If you want to be a member of this club, you need to contribute to its greatness and not its decline.

I'm going to keep this locked for ~48 hours, so if you would like to comment on the state of the chapter, or anything I said, you'll have plenty of time to think up an intelligent response. If there is something you'd like to say to the BOD privately feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you.

I'm opening this up for comments. I'd love to hear everyone's input on the state of the chapter but more importantly I like to hear what changes you'd like to see happen and what direction you would like to see the chapter head.

Please help keep this appropriate and on topic.

I've been around this chapter a LONG time as a member, heck it's been 4+ years since I even OWNED an XJ for a wheeler. It sucks that you guys will have to moderate this forum more heavily, but it's for the good of the chapter. Your comments about the consensus from the outside looking into the NWC about what a joke it's become are, unfortunately, spot-on. Weed out some trouble makers, and keep doing what you're doing promoting events, and you can bring back some respect to the NWC. I would love to see this improve dramatically, and I'd be happy to offer more support to the chapter again.

My $.02

John

If anything, this state of the chapter address makes me want to become a paying member. Unfortunately with transferring colleges within the next 6 months, I am uncertain where my location will lie and therefore I do not want to commit NAXJA if I cannot follow through with that commitment.

Once I finish college though... I'm all in!

Darren,

Thanks for your service to the NWC. As I said in a previous (deleted) thread : Some people in the NWC have compromised relationships which continue to be important to others. Your post is spot on although something to this effect should have been said two years ago. I was there the night all this BS started and I chalk it up to nothing more than alcohol induced shenanigans that were taken personally and escalated over, and over, and over. It's time to move on and I will feel-out being more involved in the North-end. Ill post some of my planned runs, do the trip report thing and see where it goes.
Honestly and genuinely,I'd like to hear what Nightfoam and Red-Jeep have to say on the matter because they seem to be the most outspoken.

Over a year ago we organized a Northend M&G and 4 people showed up, all of which I met previously :laugh2:. Some said they couldn't make it due to scheduling which is fine. But some RSVP'd, then didn't show or bailed at the last minute. I'm tired of the flakes. Although maybe the reputation is our own damm fault due to the lack of participation in the Northend.

Well I certainly can't speak for RedJeep, but he'll be allowed to post here again in a few weeks.

My very first impression of somebody I'd met from the northend was at NWFest 2 years ago. I won't say his name but the very first thing he said to me was three things he thought I'd done wrong with my Jeep that I'd just finished doing. The behavior of a few select folks from the northend the remainder of that weekend cemented my feeling that they felt they were better than us. Talking to other people from the Portland area, there was definitely an elitist vibe unless you had the money to buy the "right parts"

Having spent a decent amount of time with a number of Portland area folks, I know that some of the biggest troublemakers, are also some of the most trustworthy people I know. I could list at least 5 people who would drop whatever they were doing to help out somebody they don't even know outside of NAXJA.

I think a lot of the "trouble" over the last couple of months was mostly things being done just to get a rise out of other members. There aren't any Nazis or white supremacists on NAXJA, nobody here HATES anybody. Some of us just felt excluded and decided to do our own thing which apparently made others uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, as more northenders leave, more are going to follow, it's the reason I left Northwest Overland Society, it was all Land Rover elitists and since I didn't have $50 to spend on a titanium bottle opener, I never felt comfortable.

I've given this BOD a lot of crap about getting rid of their Jeeps but it's because I care. I understand Darren's situation and it sucks and don't hold it against him at all, having a family ain't cheap. Giving Eric crap is just something to do. He and his wife are really good people and are great to have around the campfire almost all the time. I don't really know Dick, having just met him the once but it was really encouraging to have the new guy to the chapter volunteer to be on the BOD then buy Dustin's Jeep and go crazy building it. Then all of a sudden, it was up for sale on craigslist. It makes you wonder. I'm glad to hear that he's planning on keeping it but hopefully he won't get bored again and get rid of it and been done with NAXJA. It's only March.

Basically, there never really was any intention to hurt anybody's feelings, though once a certain member tried to have us kicked out of NAXJA and threatened us with legal problems (of which there was no grounds) we took it personally. Besides that, I have no problems with anybody here as long as they know, we're all XJ owners.

Last edited:
And regarding us getting kicked out of The Rock, those of you who were there know we weren't really being that rowdy until the manager brought his hired muscle up to take our drinks away.

Thanks for posting Ryan. I honestly got a similar "elitist" feeling from the last big North-end group but they were super close, just like it appears you guys down south seem to be. I think it's inherent of a group of dudes although this doesnt explain how new people should be treated. I'm super sensitive to the elitist thing too since this is a club based on the fact that ANYONE can join (which brings on it's own challenging dynamic).

My personal reasons for reduced participation in the North-end came directly from the fact you guys seemed to attack a NAXJA supporter who's the largest sponsor of an race-team I have a very small part in. This sponsor had nothing to do with any of this IMOP and you directly effected their reputation and possibly their bottom line. I'm not speaking for them but all my cards are on the table....

And regarding us getting kicked out of The Rock, those of you who were there know we weren't really being that rowdy until the manager brought his hired muscle up to take our drinks away.

And too add it was mostly my wrong doing. And for the record I go there pretty much every friday.

I joined this group almost 2 years ago, went on a run with you guys and left the group 3 months later. My old screen name was Believe&Receive. The people i personally meet on here and on that run were great! At the drop of a dime spike and Scott had me over for the better part of the day fixing a few things on my jeep and teaching me a little bit about it. I got to meet Tor, mojo and Red Jeep, freggin great people. Some people though decided to start attacking a certain someone who made a second account expressing his feelings, because he obviously didnt feel comfortable doing it under his own name. It showed where this forum was at the time that he couldnt express his feelings about something without being in fear of the backlash he would receive. A few of us stuck up for him, i being one, then all of a sudden people talking about peoples moms came into the picture. Crazy business! Was time for me to go. Do i think the Prez should have been putting his foot down on how people were speaking to each other on the board? No, not at all. We should have been doing that by having respect for each other and holding each other accountable for conduct on this forum in a private manner. It looks like people are going to start taking a stand against negativity and wolf packing on members. I think thats great. My 2 cents on Darrens initial post is that the whole thing is spot on. Except for one part imo. "Going forward we will not tolerate..........religious or political comments" This seems over the top to me. NAXJA as a group often converse about more that just jeeps right? Imo what NAXJA should not tolerate is the bashing of someones opinion on those two matters. Like it or not both those subjects are a part of all of our lives and as a group we should be grown enough to speak about those issues without being judged or beaten down. If you got it should let your light shine. Anyways just thought i would get that off. That being said, Im happy to be back and im ready to finally build this jeep up best i can. Jimmy

Ive already given my opinon of nwc's problems, and have written off this club in its current condition.

Ill just throw my .02 in here, Because im all for helping make this club great, if it is to be great.

I think darren/ eric/ dick are stand up guys who have their heart in the right place. the fact is, they arent in paid positions. all volunteer. sure seems like alot of BS to deal with for a volunteer position.

This forum is just an accessory to the greater club. or at least that how it was explained above.

this idea that the internet side of the club needs to be heavily moderated is, in my opinion pathetic. you are all adults here, and this isnt a free for all. the BOD doeant get paid enough to babysit.

being an adult requires one to be responsible for ones own actions and words.

I think the current state of nwc comes from a few issues. I mentioned this to darren, but illl say it here too.

First, it would seem this is a internet forum first, and a local club second.

There is a stark difference between the two.

If this is to be a local club, then regular meetings and club events might help folks understand theres a face to the name. Might force some accountability. this would make the club more personal, everyone would know each other better. just look at some other local area clubs. they are club first, internet second.

I think naxja suffers from a fundamental fault wherein the runaway forum supersedes the local club ethics and family mentality.

Something else Ive noticed is that the guys who are the problem, dont get the boot. its easier to ignore them than make necessary changes for the good of the club, apparently. This will never be a good club if folks dont take some personal initiative and be responible for themselves.

If you cant play nice, then you should be gone. be it in line text on the internet, or at a restaurant during a club event.

I feel we should all carry ourselves with integrity all the time. But if you cant do that, then at least show some when you are representing something.

It starts at you, not the moderators on an internet forum.

First off,

This forum started "Changing" ALOT after Nwfest 2010, Some would say it went straight downhill, Others would say it weeded alot of the Assholes out.. Whatever your judgement on that is, Do understand there was a reason for the change of direction!

It was made VERY apparent that a large number of "respected members" had Moved on to other things, and seemed to be there at NWFest Just for the drinking, shenanigans, raffle etc.. with their immediate group of locals, This "attitude" was recieved from the south end as RUDE, and some of the comments made were unacceptable for a "group atmosphere" Aka, If you dont like "The N" why the hell are you here?

Since then, the two sides were split clean down the middle, The north end went PNW, the southend stayed Naxja, and all seemed well, Until the fire was poked.. The arrogance on both sides sprayed over and there was a bit of a explosion last year.. I was one of the Main Jackasses that overstepped his boundaries and lashed out.. And i'm not sorry for that at all, I enjoy the immediate group very much but the fact that the northern group has done nothing but make a mockery out of most of us left me with my nose up. With a few of the Northern "sponsors" getting caught in the crossfire, due to a matter of location.. Its not going to be fixed easily..

While I understood exactly where Sideshow was coming from when he asked me Respectfully to step off my soap box a few months back, It hadn't occurred to me at the time what he was trying to say.. If I'm the only one still holding on to the grudge, I'm not being much help in resolving the issue at hand..

I for one am ready to move on, From the battle of the forums, to the Geographical differences.. I've got No real issue with any one single person.. I feel i have been a big enough factor in this bullshit to step back and watch.. I've personally slowed down a bit with naxja, and it's not because "I'm sick of the people" But because i feel its time i do my own thing? Naxja as a hole has been overran with assholes like me that make it their personal Social media fun-site, I feel the most responsible thing for me to do right now is step back and see what comes of it.. I'm sure Alot of the people here feel that way..

Moneypit, I think you have alot of potential, But I feel you have contributed to the nonsense as-well. There for, your a bit Hypocritical.. Judge me for that thought.. I dont mind:)

Naxja as a hole has been overran with assholes like me that make it their personal Social media fun-site, I feel the most responsible thing for me to do right now is step back and see what comes of it.. I'm sure Alot of the people here feel that way..

I'm guilty as well for using this forum as a personal social media fun site, and a continuation of campfire conversations. How much fresh blood has come to the NW Chapter in the past couple years? It doesn't feel like much. When is the last time there was a monthly meet and greet? We used to get together at round table once a month. That's how I got started with naxja in the first place.

First off. I have had great times with the naxja folks for years. i know and have known loads of the member that have come and gone. our current bod inhearted a ticking time bomb. people are right, problems did start in 2010 at NWFest. but im not really shure why. there was an obvious devide in camp that year, we saw that. but other than the "Vibe" i dont remember anybody doing anything spasfic :dunno:. soon after i tried to call the chapter out on it. the deminor and reactions i got from most members, was a felling of " it is what it is" or "naxja is what YOU make of it".

then the "steel cable" crap started going around, then it was the pnw hate-a-thon. we lost bod with statute within the wheeling comuinity. i loved the way things were under kens flag:patriot:. Then dustin and rod had the torch, did an awsome job with the cards they were delt. PROPS guies. i belive once Torx took over, by no fault of his by anymeans. the chapter fell of the deep end, Dave was in no position personaly to deal with a problem of this magnatude, and Torx alone, to fix it... not a chance.

when the polls came out for the 2012 elections, me and tessa just :laugh:. I love you guies, and would consider you friends not just wheeling buds... But Daren and Eric are two of the most sarcastic, and crude commenting people i have ever met. now you trying to lead the CHARGE in cleening up the forums, seems hypacritical. i had no problems with the curent situation until there was a flip. i wached as more and more posts were being deleted, mine included. people commenting on deleted comments. people reacting to comment and being deleted. all the while there is no notification of what is actual going on. from an outside view, things ar two choped up to even follow.

in the op there are a feiw comments that offended me comming from a bod that was elected, volentered for the position; knowing full well the "state of the NWC" and on top of it Asked for the nomination to begin with. its not like we had alot of options.

dick on the other hand, wrong place wrong time. your intentions are good, but you really dont have the authority as Treserur, to do or say the influincing things you have. you are a BOD in the chapter why? how did you get nominated? i know your an invensment banker, you have to be good with money. but still NOBODY knows you here. IMO you really havent been around this chapter long enough to make judgments, or swing hammers. you should be in the wings dealing with the forums just as any other member, until it comes to that money.

this isnt going to be a fast track. this have festerd for along time. members will leave, more will come. traditions will need changeing.

most of all tough. this need to be a much as possable a face to face thing. pm, e-mail, text, call. blind moderations will only make things worse.

lastly. i want to camment on memberships. if your guna shark the forum, pay your dues. if you have used the tec section even once, you know its worth it. and on top of it there is a whol group of people that would love to see you JOIN THE CLUB. officaly. i get tired of people like joe, who act like there here to help the club. but cant pony up the 35 bucks for a membership card, or show up to a run ans show your face. i have been around along time. and i have yet to meet ALOT of people face to face, on the trail or not.
talk is cheap.

im shure ill think of more. my dinner is ready:yelclap:

I wasn't going to point any fingers :)

Its all good...I only said anything to that manager because I thought it was rude and un professional that monkey boys kids had to sit on his lap and also me having to wait for a chair for an extra 20 min after everyone else sat down.

Moneypit I don't know you from reading your posts about the way you think this club should be ran "strong arm of the law style" kick me out for being an a$$ at a restaurant. They prolly don't even know what naxja means nor were we hanging our banner on the wall. Were you there to see everything if not its not your opinions or comments that need to be said.

I have no idea what went on at nwfest '10 as I was not there, nor have I attended any other nwfest. What I do know is that this is a family club, not just a group of friends that go camping and wheeling, and that everyone should act accordingly.

And all the b.s. about the B.O.D. selling, losing interest in, not having an XJ is just pathetic. If you failed to read the by-laws before joining the club I will attach one part that sums it up pretty quick:

Section 3: Membership Qualifications
  1. In order to be eligible for Membership an individual shall satisfy the following requirements:
    1. Shall be not less than 18 years of age;
    2. Shall own or have interest in an XJ or MJ vehicle.

Section 3: Membership Qualifications
  1. In order to be eligible for Membership an individual shall satisfy the following requirements:
    1. Shall be not less than 18 years of age;
    2. Shall own or have interest in an XJ or MJ vehicle.

That is new. I know last year when TORX parted out Jeepforceone, it specified you had to have USE OF an XJ or MJ. Perhaps somebody in BOD can shed some light on when that changed.

I think consistancy is key to forum moderation. It lets people know when they have stepped over the line. Eventually, the people participating will understand the general direction that you (BODs) would like this to go. Pirate 4x4 has no problem in letting people flame away. It is their personallity. Being inconsistant with what is deleted, what is not, when a thread is locked etc is what will drive people away.

There are some good people here. But there are also some people that I really don't want to be associated with. If I join a club, I want to be "all in." This is not that type of club. That being said, I can still contribute both on the forum and by going to events. I accept that I don't get to vote for the BODs, which as I stated above "points the ship," and I accept that there are a few other contests and such that I do not participate in, but that does not mean that I don't bring value. NAXJA sells ad space based on the activity of both members and non members. The value of that ad space would drop considerably if this became a full "paid site." Also, black lettered users can add activity in both the site as well as events, which are more fun (usually) with more then 1 or 2 people. If you have a problem with the "open use/public nature" of this site/club, maybe this isn't the club for you either.

I think that the current BOD is doing a good job. I have no problem with the fact that Darren doesn't have a Jeep. In fact, that seems like a pro more then a con because he isn't spending is time/energy on it. Additionally, I can support a guy who acts differently in a leadership role then he would in a user role. I also have no problem with Dick being as new as he is to the area. I have wheeled with him a couple of times, and is really the only reason I am taking the time to type out this response. He represents NAXJA very well.

I was not at NWFest '10, but I do remember the fallout. I am a forum member over on PNWJeep (but not a club member). I have always found them very inviting and open to participation.

My main problem with the "club" and my reason for watching it sink into a putrid hole of uselessness is the association with ignorance that was created and catered to. People see a NAXJA sticker and look online to find out what it's about. Their first look on the forum and reading a few threads would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth that had an IQ above 100. Inbred, gravy-necked, uneducated hicks were allowed to go un-mocked and post 3rd grade sentences and 2nd grade spelling. Although they were only a small, select few from the NWC, they were allowed to be representatives simply by being cronies. At no time was the good of the club as a whole considered.
Essentially, allowing that said group to go unchecked and then persecuting those that would, and had been, promoting the club and setting a good example on and off the trail assured that the founders and the architects of this chapter were to be discarded.
If you want to build this club back up and make it respectable and not the butt of Jeep jokes, attract a higher class of Jeeper and don't baby those that lower the visual IQ just because they live next door to you.

Anyone that was on NAXJA back in the day and before all the sh!t went down still socialize and still talk, just not here, mainly because it is too embarrassed to say you are associated with the group the way it is.

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back