• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going up 2 inches

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Ok, so axle geometry is not my strong suit...

I currently have on a 3.5" RE lift with the full springs and the RE lower control arms for the 3/5" lift, that rides a little rough because the axle isn't quite right and the slip yoke is causing vibes.

I have an H & T SYE kit to install. At the same time I also have a set of 2" spring spacers and Dodge Ram rear shackles.

So, my question...

If, when I put on my SYE, I go ahead and do the shackles and spacers but don't address upper or lower control arms, am I doing myself a disservice? Should I wait to go up 2" until I have something in place to address the control arms.

get the RC control arm drop kit...
its cheaper than adjustables and with 5.5 inches your stock control arms will be the correct length, otherwise i advise adjustable control arms upper and lower

I was planning to get drop brackets, but wonder about running without them until I can buy a set. I don't have the stock control arms anymore, just the fixed that came with the 3.5".

lots of people run short arms at that height. but ideally youll want control arm drop brackets or long arms. i have the RE 4.5" super flex kit. the lowers are the same length as stock (eye to eye) and the uppers are only 0.5" longer... i think they did this to help address castor. if you still have stock uppers, getting adjustable ones when you get drop brackets wouldnt be a bad idea. that way you can adjust castor and wheel base, but arent limited by fixed uppers and the castor adjuster on the LCA frame side bracket.

Gonna ride like shit and pull your front axle further back
this is always a mute point to me. yes, with lift the axle is coming back. but upon compression, the tire will go through the range of travel, and when you reach stock ride height, the tire will again be in the center of the axle. comply this with the fact that lift usually means bigger tires, most of us dont get compression much further past stock ride height, if at all. those who center their axle at lifted ride height are the ones that have problems with rubbing way in the front of the fender. control arm drop brackets dont address the small radius that short arms travel in, they just change the center point of the radius. the BEST way to combat this is with longer arms, a longer radius will have the axle traveling in a larger arch.

im not saying centering the axle is wrong, im just saying that pulling the axle back isnt the devil as long as it doesnt do funky things to your coils.

let see, pull axle closer to body you had to trim for smaller tires, and put bigger tires on. itll be fine......
not

yes the LCA will follow the arc and center the axle just like the norm. but when you hit a bump instead of the force pushing the flat CA up, it jabs at the the CA. Youll feel more shit in the floor, eat bushings, and are way more likely so suck a tire down on a ledge than you are to walk it up the same ledge.

Ride is gonna suck, its a short arm lifted cherokee. doesnt mean ya have to do it wrong to make it worse

let see, pull axle closer to body you had to trim for smaller tires, and put bigger tires on. itll be fine......
not

yes the LCA will follow the arc and center the axle just like the norm. but when you hit a bump instead of the force pushing the flat CA up, it jabs at the the CA. Youll feel more shit in the floor, eat bushings, and are way more likely so suck a tire down on a ledge than you are to walk it up the same ledge.

Ride is gonna suck, its a short arm lifted cherokee. doesnt mean ya have to do it wrong to make it worse

the negative effects deffinantly out weigh the positive... but the jeep isnt going to catastrophically fail if he decides to run short arms without brackets for a short while.

Back