• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Springs for Ride Quality

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
First, does anybody know of any coil springs softer than rusty's 3in? I've heard people say those and stock are ~150lb but I have a squished set out of a burnt tj that measure much thicker. Stock are .500" Rusty's are .565". Though the part # is ROS300 while whats on their site is now RC-CS300
They should be much better than what I have now though, which are .625" and aren't even flat on the bottom so the drivers side hits the frame rail and sway bar. Don't know the brand since they came on the jeep.

Second, offer any opinions on ride quality and different spring models front or rear.
My assumption was always stock was as good as your gonna get.

shocks make a huge difference, have you looked into changing shocks first?

i dont think you have any options really if you want something softer than a rustys regular duty 3" coil.

i prefer a much firmer coil with a quality shock myself.

I'm happy with OME coils and shocks.

I run my "hand me down" 4.5 re coils and firm valved 5150 and they seem to ride decent and I've been running my XJ swaybarless for 3 years or so.

I've got OME shocks and they made a big difference. I then went to a stock rear spring pack which made a huge difference but had to support it from sagging. Also redid the front suspension with all new brackets on the axle side to set it up at better angles. It's almost there.

I have OME springs and shocks and they have lasted a real long time without any problems. They ride better than stock and articulate very well.
Hope this helps.
Jeff-97XJ

OME have been the best springs and shocks I have used on an XJ so far. They really did a good job of matching the shocks for the weight of the Jeep and spring rate. The handling improves over stock quite a bit as well.

Hope this helps,
Brian

It depends on more than just coil size for spring rate.

That aside I also think you need shocks. Some good bump stop replacements like prothanes would also smooth out the front end

It depends on more than just coil size for spring rate.

That aside I also think you need shocks. Some good bump stop replacements like prothanes would also smooth out the front end

I was wondering about that. Please explain to me the aspects of what determines the spring rate if u would. Considering their all relatively the same diameter, the only variable I can imagine would be the process they were tempered.

I already said I have OME shocks and 20 other people already recommended shocks. Suspension hardly gets near bottoming so why would bump stops help? I agree offroad if thats what ur focusing on.

PS accurately testing the rusty's and stock spring by sitting on them showed the rusty's seems close in softness.

Deaver springs. Discussion over.
maybe if I lived on the west coast and was silly enough to jump.

Back