• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj just died

BruteNasty

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just bought an Xj from a guy not running. He said he was going about 5the mph swaying back and forth to feel the new suspension and it just died. He said he never messed with it. Where should I start? Anything common I should look for?

We need some more info than that. What year, motor, trans, does the motor turn over? Get us some info!

Well, if the motor is turning over, start checking to see if you have spark. Is the fuel pump kicking on? Does the motor try to start at all when it is cranking over?

Remove spark plug. Keep it attached to the plug wire. Place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

If spark checks out, then introduce a small splash of gas into the intake or a shot of starting fluid. If the engine starts with this technique, then you have identified a fuel delivery problem.

For a no-start, I always start with the above techniques. Easy to do and the results are invaluable in narrowing down your search for a root cause.

Post back your results.

Back