• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS Quick Disconnect Install Help

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
This isn't a question. I spent last night searching for ideas to get the stud out of the axle mounts on my 1998 XJ. After bending a 6" c-clamp until the pad no longer contacted the jaw yesterday, I finally found something online, and I figured I'd put it up here and maybe help some folks out.

Here's the link I found:

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/swaybar_endlinks.htm

I went this morning looking for a pitman arm puller, only to find that the ones available at Advance Auto and AutoZone were both too wide across the jaw opening to get a good grip. HOWEVER, AutoZone has a smaller one called "Tie Rod End & Pitman Arm Puller for Compact Cars", OEM brand part number 25297. It's jaws are around 1/4" closer together and with the shorter fingers at the end, will be less likely to bend and slip off. It cost $14.99+tax.

Following the instructions from the link, I used a hacksaw to cut the bolts in half. On the passenger side, I took the blade off the saw and re-installed it with the drag-link inside the saw to give me more room to work. It only takes a minute to cut the studs off this way as they seem to be rather soft metal. Once this is done, (try to cut as squarely as possible as in the link) and the center-point of the puller should seat itself in the bolt when you begin putting pressure on it. I was able to use just a standard 11/16 Craftsman wrench to turn the puller after putting a little grease on the threads of the puller to help with friciton.

Another tip: When you go to put in the bolts to hold on the sway-bar end brackets, do not try to torque it to the 40ft-lbs until you have the cross bolt for the link in place. It will deform and be near impossible to get everything lined up and tight enough without killing your allen wrench.

If anyone has anything else to add, feel free. This is just a couple things that helped me.

Re: JKS Quick Disconnet Install Help

I ran into the same problem when i installed mine a few months ago. easiest thing that worked for me was alittle heat and an air hammer. had both sides out in a matter of minutes.

That's a good idea. I've done the disconnects on 3 cars now, and they were a huge pain every time. I used an air hammer and heat as well.

I probably would have put some heat on them too with the c-clamp, but we just moved and the budget doesn't allow for a torch set yet. Soon though, soon... :firedevil

On installation I threw out the JKS 40ft pound pre-treated blah, blah, and installed real fasteners. All and all, I am very happy to have the JKS setup. The provision to hook up the discos to my front shield is not too much in the cards, (after ARB/Warn bumper), since I threw it out into my side yard pile of crap. Figure I will come up with a better method of tying them off, rather then with the temporary bungee cords now available when needed. Frozen weather, and bungees don't mix well. LOL, a work in progress.

I cut, hacked, pounded, heated, and cursed the end link bolts out on my first XJ. I used my 5 dollar pitman arm pulled on my second XJ and had them out in a couple of minutes. I have also seen one pre-96 with threaded bolts.

I used a normal 2 jaw puller. I had to take the steering stabilizer out to get at the passenger side, but the whole thing only took about 10 minutes once I figured out that beating them out with a bfh wasn't going to work.

...I used my 5 dollar pitman arm puller on my second XJ and had them out in a couple of minutes.

I did not need to grind my end link bolts like they did in the link you posted. I figure I could use the bolts someplace else one day.

DSCN0001.jpg

I did not need to grind my end link bolts like they did in the link you posted. I figure I could use the bolts someplace else one day.

If you had done it the way the rest of us did, you would be happy to throw those bolts in the garbage! :smsoap:

i installed my JKS Q/D's last week, i tried the C clap and socket and it was obvious right away that it was not gonna work, a little bit of heat and the air hammer and the studs poped right out.

to anyone else running the JKS setup and a stock track bar bracket...did you find that your sway bar bracket was very very close to your track bar bracket when the install was all said and done??

i had to clock my sway bar braket as much as possible without any grinding to make sure everything would clear through full swing of the sway bar. not that i will be drooping out with the sway bar hooked up but i thought it was pretty tight regardless, and my axle is centered.

Back