• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need up upgrade my transfer case?

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on upgrading my 8.25 to a 8.8 and installing a SLE.I currently have a np231 with a 6" lift on 33's but plan to go up to 35's.It is my dd that sees about 75% highway and 25% trails.Should I upgrade my xfer case?

You need the SYE, and get one with the 32 spline output shaft, but beyond that you don't need anything. The 2low kit is nice, and a 4 to 1 kit is nice, you'd be happy doing both upgrades, but it's not needed. Nothing wrong with a 231 t-case.

You need the SYE, and get one with the 32 spline output shaft, but beyond that you don't need anything. The 2low kit is nice, and a 4 to 1 kit is nice, you'd be happy doing both upgrades, but it's not needed. Nothing wrong with a 231 t-case.

They both do exactly what they say. 2 wheel drive in low, and 4 to1 ratio instead of the stock 2.73 (iirc) to 1 ratio.

After reading up about both,I will definetly be upgrading.But my question is this.I think i should do all the xfer case upgrades while I have it open and installing the sye but after the rear axle,gears and locker I will be broke for a while so can I safely put off the sye and all other xfer case mods for a while and still wheel it without doing and damage?

Doubler with a d300. ;) Then you get your 2 low twin stick setup and front digs. You get lower then the 4:1 with alot more options for a less expensive price.

After reading up about both,I will definetly be upgrading.But my question is this.I think i should do all the xfer case upgrades while I have it open and installing the sye but after the rear axle,gears and locker I will be broke for a while so can I safely put off the sye and all other xfer case mods for a while and still wheel it without doing and damage?

I would be worried about driveline vibes at 6". As for strength of the tc it should be fine.there are plenty of people running stock tc with 33's.but keep in mind mostly it does depend on how you drive/wheel, whether something is going to break.

Thanks for all the tips fellas.Now if I am plannng on going with the 8.8 with arb locker,superior axle shafts but debating on gears.Some swear by 4:88 others say 4:56 and some say 5:13.It is my dd and even thought I have other cars I chose to drive her everyday. What gears do you think?

Your only options to match the D30 in the front are 4:56 and 4:88.

4.56's will put you close to stock, but if you ever go up a tire size to 35's, you'll want 4.88's.

Your only options to match the D30 in the front are 4:56 and 4:88.

4.56's will put you close to stock, but if you ever go up a tire size to 35's, you'll want 4.88's.

4.56 and 35's is stock ratio and then some.

Capture164.jpg

3.55's and 225/75R15's vs 4.56's and 35's

Capture165.jpg

4.88's and 35's vs 4.56's and 35's

personally I see no reason to play with the tcase other than SYE. If you get on trails and don't have enough low end drop in the 4.1. I also would not go deeper than 4.56's on the D30. I have one with 4.88s that is mostly issue free and pushing 33's but it is making me nervous on trails. 2 pinion teeth vs 3 teeth in contact on 4.56 and down. thats 33%...

Back