• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm mount split at bolt

Nolaws

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post here :cheers:

Anyway, I have a 1998 XJ Sport 4 door 4x4 with a 4.5" Rough Country lift kit with 31" tires. About a week ago I noticed a slight knock noise when I would turn a corner. It was just a small noise so I thought nothing of it. Well curiosity got the best of me tonight when I was coming home from dropping my son off at college and I wasn't real pleased with what I saw. On the drivers side where the control arm mounts to the frame where the bolt goes through the control arm it has split the inner reenforcement box at the back and now the metal is dangling and the mount hole has been slightly elongated. Anyone else have a similar problem with their XJ and what is the best way to fix this problem?

Robert

go to the junkyard and get another plate mine cracked when i took the control arm out with a cut off wheel and hammer.

Caster adjustment shoe broke!

Ok got a better look at what is going on with my frame mount this morning, it was dark last night and I could barely see. It appears that the outer side of the caster adjustment shoe on the drivers side has broken. Does the dealer still sell this part or am I going to have to hit the junk yard? Is there an aftermarket part that is better?

Robert

long arms... lol.

if its just the adjustment shoe, id get it from the JY. if your a regular they might let you walk off with it free of charge. no promises though. dealer should be able to get them, but itll be dealer priced. maybe check an alignment shop if its closer than a JY, they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

I guess the real question is will this be a continuing problem with the 4.5" lift using the stock part? The ride on my truck is pretty stiff and I am guessing that is what split the part in the first place. I would love to do the long arm route but I don't have the cash for that. I will need a fairly cheap fix unfortunately.

Robert

just replace it, id suspect something else will break before it breaks again. im at that lift height and have never had that problem, but weirder things have happened. im on a RE 4.5" kit and my castor adjuster is maxed out, no shims, just the shoe. id suspect yours should be around the same depending on arm length. if your just replacing the shoe though, 20 minute job once youve got the part.

What control arms are you using?

Back