• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to gain more down travel

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
RIght now im running 5.5" springs with drop brackets. I have alot of down travel but want to get more. Almost unset the coil. I have bumpstops and am set up pretty well. Right now I have pro comp 9000 shocks. 15.5" compressed, 25" extended. I have about 3 more inches of compressed on my shock before I bottom out the shock, so I could get a shock 3" longer, but then what else? How else can I gain a little more down travel?

25" shocks are no where long enough for a 5.5". They are more suited for a 3" lift. I am swapping out my Zone shocks which are about 25" in front for some bilstein 28" 5100's. I have a 4.5" long arm kit. Get some longer shocks but keep an eye on your DS angle, brake lines, and steering components so they aren't damaged from too much travel.

Remember, installing longer shocks for more droop requires longer bumpstops to keep em from over-compressing.

BPEs could give your shocks a little more droop. i think my JKS added an inch or so. you could get more if you fab your own. what steering and track bar are you running? you want to make sure that those arent binding and limiting your droop or else you could potentially break something.

Bilstien makes a shortbody shock - 12" of travel with a 10" body, or 14" of travel with a 12" body. Lets you get more droop if you really want it.

Look at Bilstien 7100 series shocks, each has a shortbody version.

25" shocks are no where long enough for a 5.5". They are more suited for a 3" lift. I am swapping out my Zone shocks which are about 25" in front for some bilstein 28" 5100's. I have a 4.5" long arm kit. Get some longer shocks but keep an eye on your DS angle, brake lines, and steering components so they aren't damaged from too much travel.

Remember, installing longer shocks for more droop requires longer bumpstops to keep em from over-compressing.

Like I said I have about 3 more inches of travel to go up on the shock so they must be close to the right shock.

BPEs could give your shocks a little more droop. i think my JKS added an inch or so. you could get more if you fab your own. what steering and track bar are you running? you want to make sure that those arent binding and limiting your droop or else you could potentially break something.

I have BPEs as well in the front already to. Im running a stock drag with a heavy duty tie rod over the knuckle. So no problem there. And my break lines are more then plenty long. I have always made sure of that.

If you want max droop get longer shocks and longarms.

why would I get long arms when I have drop brackets? I have about just as much flex with my set up as alot of guys with long arms. Everyone bashes on DB but in my mind there just as great when it comes to wheeling..

DSC_0059.jpg

Tire isent even off the ground yet

forget long arms, you're going to have a flat arm if you keep crawling with it out the window. ;)

haha ya I know, the seat belt was locked on me so I was trying to get a little more out the window. Trust me it went in shortly after that pic as I stared getting a little tippy and dident wana flop on it lol

Get a front locker and don't worry about unseating the coil. I had 26" shocks with short arms, no drop brackets and had plenty of downtravel.

Nice Rig man! No bashing from me... I'd stay with the DB and go with a little longer shock. Maybe install limiting straps to keep it in check? Other than that you're s**t looks tight.

25" extended? is that it?

my rig is on 4.5" Rough Country front coils at rest I need a 23" shock just to mount up... then I would still have 0 downtravel...

I would guess you only have 3 or 4" down travel with those shocks acting like limiting straps

Get a front locker and don't worry about unseating the coil. I had 26" shocks with short arms, no drop brackets and had plenty of downtravel.

I'am locked for your info. Front and rear

Nice Rig man! No bashing from me... I'd stay with the DB and go with a little longer shock. Maybe install limiting straps to keep it in check? Other than that you're s**t looks tight.

Thanks man. Ive got alot of money sinked into it

25" extended? is that it?

my rig is on 4.5" Rough Country front coils at rest I need a 23" shock just to mount up... then I would still have 0 downtravel...

I would guess you only have 3 or 4" down travel with those shocks acting like limiting straps

27 extended sorry. I was thinking my rear. With my jeep sitting at rest the shock measures 22" and thats without the BPE, so 23" with the BPE. I do have alot more uptravel then down I know that already. I was just seeing what I could do to gain a little more.

Bilstien makes a shortbody shock - 12" of travel with a 10" body, or 14" of travel with a 12" body. Lets you get more droop if you really want it.

Look at Bilstien 7100 series shocks, each has a shortbody version.

Ill look for these and try to find them. Thanks for that info

27 extended sorry. I was thinking my rear. With my jeep sitting at rest the shock measures 22" and thats without the BPE, so 23" with the BPE. I do have alot more uptravel then down I know that already. I was just seeing what I could do to gain a little more.

ok that makes more sense... you could still use a little longer shock

Last edited:
Back