• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seat belt limit straps?

policejeep

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking has anyone used seat belts for limit straps and if so how did it work out? I was thinking about it because I have a bunch of bus seat belts and I was looking at them and it hit me as an idea. So dumb idea or would it work?

Cool idea,if you need extra flex you could just un-buckle them!

I'm pretty sure they need to be stronger then a regular seatbelt. That's why they've got 2-3 layers and are stitched like crazy.

I few guys on here are running them (Starboard M is/was one of them [edit: link]).
That being said, for as cheap as limit straps are (if you by them direct and skip the middle man paying for his logo to be put on it) I'm not sure it is worth all the hassle of stitching up some old belts; especially for someone that doesn't have access to a sewing machine. If I did use them I'd want to do some testing to see how much they stretch when drooped out.

Last edited:
So do you think they would need more stitching??? Never thought about it but I do have an Upholstery machine. So I guess I could just make some I was just thinking it might be difernt to use seat belts and I had them. I like to do everything I can myself but they arent that much I guess. It was just an idea

So do you think they would need more stitching??? Never thought about it but I do have an Upholstery machine. So I guess I could just make some I was just thinking it might be difernt to use seat belts and I had them. I like to do everything I can myself but they arent that much I guess. It was just an idea
If you got a lot of extra belt and the sewing machine for it, give it a shot. Double or triple up the material (triple or quad the ends), sew it up good and put it through its paces off the rig. Worst that can happen is you end up with something not working any have to go spend $40-$45 on a pair of straps.

I used axle straps from Ebay, $20 for 4 of them. You can clamp the d-ring, or weld in some metal like I did.

IMG_2648.jpg

I dont see how it wouldnt work, unless they stretch too much. Breakage certainly shouldnt be a problem, they can decelerate the force of 200+ lbs of weight pretty quickly, AKA hold back a lot of force without breaking. 200+ lbs going even just 30-0 in a couple feet is more force than the axle will ever put on them. Repeated use could prove to be an issue though

i am running seat belts for limit straps... the strap i got for them has a 6000lb rating, and i wrapped it so it is 4 layers in the middle and double wrapped on the eyes. that means a minimum of 12000lb for each strap... this also resulted in an immeasureable amount of stretch. if you have the material and equipment, then i so go for it.

Back