• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question for the A904 with overdrive experts. no reverse when cold

amcjeep

NAXJA Forum User
so like the title says, i have a 1986 cherokee with the 2.8/A904 and although reverse engages fine when cold, if i get into the throttle or try to back up a hill when its cold the transmission seems to "break free" and slip, and if i let off the throttle, the engine speed drops and it kinda, "re-engages" and will creep in reverse. now, once the transmission is fully warmed up, reverse engages and does not slip at all, i can hammer the throttle and it breaks the tires free. also 1st gear engine braking is fine. all forward gears work flawlessly and shift solid and the converter locks up right at 36 mph right after 3rd gear engages.

that being said, i have adjusted the rear band. first i did the 72in lb. and 7 turns out per the chilton manual. that was too loose, it made a snapping noise as in engaged reverse, and still slipped. then i tried the older spec of 72 in. lbs. and 4 turns out, no more noise, but still slips when cold. from what i can see of the band, it looks ok, and i have changed the fluid and filter. i refilled with dex3/mercon.

so in my experience, the fact that it works when hot and the fluid is thin, makes me think that there is a restriction in the reverse servo circuit, not and kind of piston leak as that woul be the opposite?

anyone have this problem and fixed it? i need some advice! i see that there is an upgraded "super servo" available for the reverse band, and an upgrade kit for the reverse valve in the v/body on some sites.
i don't know, i am not a trans tech by any means.

thank you for any advice!!!

thanks, i read those both before during my google searches for info. i guess at this point i am going to get the reverse band super servo kit and see what happens. it is certainly counter-intuitive as usually a worn servo piston bore/seal, leak when warm and not cold as the thicker fluid helps to overcome the leaky seal. the only thing i can think of is that the servo piston is sticking in the bore somewhat when cold, and when the case/piston expand when warm, it allows it to apply full pressure??? i don't know, i guess i gotta drop the pan for the 5th time.:confused1:confused1:confused1:confused1

Back